lot picked up at flea market for 10

The place to ask your Cracker Jack Prize questions. (Open to All)
edteach

lot picked up at flea market for 10

Post by edteach »

All these except the little dutch boy and the monkeys see no evil are marked with CJ co or cracker jack. The train is marked cracker jack inside and CJ co on the side. The monkeys look like they are CJ. Any thoughts on the value and if the boy and monkeys are CJ?
Attachments
DSCN0190.jpg
DSCN0190.jpg (241.69 KiB) Viewed 9961 times
Luke

Re: lot picked up at flea market for 10

Post by Luke »

The little boy is a Cracker Jack prize. He's 1 of 12 from the Dolls of Nation series. He's over 50 years old, and he still looks good! Great find.
gsullivan

Post by gsullivan »

Nice lot! All of the items in your photo are Cracker Jack items including the boy and trio of monkeys. Your rhino and monkeys show a little color marbling which is nice. CJ collectors might pay $1 - $5 for an individual piece of the type you show depending on interest. The auction price realized for a lot as a whole typically would be less than that. Let me know if you are interested in selling the red Egyptian mummy! As you might be able to tell I like mummies! Thanks for sharing!
edteach

Post by edteach »

The mummy shows a book value of 13$ I am going to start only collecing items that are stamped with the CJ marks. They sell faster and for more.
jdnola

Post by jdnola »

Gail, thanks for taking the time to give your thoughtful and considerate response.

As for book values, one dealer told me his rule of thumb was that he paid half the book value or less and marked double the book value, and if he ends up selling for half his marked price, he's still made at least 100% profit.
Jeffrey Maxwell

Post by Jeffrey Maxwell »

All of the toys in this photo are classic CJ prizes. I have never paid attention to book values. Larry is a swell guy, but I don't agree with a lot of the prices he has published. Ed says the book value of a mummy is $13. Does any CJCA collector know of someone who has paid $13 for a mummy? That's nuts. I must admit that I am from the Midwestern United States, and while prices on the edges of the country might be a little higher, I am not buying it. Bottom line is an item is worth what someone will pay for it. Gail is right. None of the items in this collection are worth more than $5 to any collectors I know. Certainly, I have paid more than $5 for Alphabet Dangles, but about 20 percent of all Alphabet Dangles are yellow, so not this one. Maybe someone will sell a mummy for $13 to a non-CJ collector once in a blue moon, but on an everyday basis, this is not realistic for a prize that is not rare.