Original sealed wrapper with 1991 baseball card

The place to ask your Cracker Jack Prize questions. (Open to All)
irockde7

Original sealed wrapper with 1991 baseball card

Post by irockde7 »

I was wondering if this item was a collectable due to it being in the orignal wrapper? It is a 1991 Topps Cracker Jack baseball card. Any info appreciated. Thanks!
larrydw

Re: Original sealed wrapper with 1991 baseball card

Post by larrydw »

Hello,
Some of the earlier wrappers from the 50s etc are collectible; however, I do not know of anyone concentrating on collecting the wrappers. On most the internet auctions they hardly bring $0.99 for hundreds of them. Thanks for the inquiry.
irockde7

Post by irockde7 »

Thank you very much for the reply :) This card is still in the original wrapper...so it's the prize (baseball card) and still sealed in the wrapper. Does this make a difference for this type of collectable...or should I go ahead and open it and protect the card? I hear these cards are rare...do the cards also fall under the "collectables" category...or only the toy prizes? Thanks again everyone!
larrydw

Post by larrydw »

Hello,
There are millions if not thousands of these cards in circulation and in collections. You might as well leave it in the wrapper as it would protect the card somewhat. You may want to look thru the wrapper to see what the number/player is. No1, N Ryan and No22, R. Clemens would be worth more than the average card, but we are talking to maybe $4.00 vs. $0.50. These cards would have more value to a person who collects EVERYTHING Roger Clemens or Nolan Ryan or Ken Griffey than the average Cracker Jack collector.

It's a fun set and when I re-started collecting Cracker Jack it was this set that was in the boxes at the time. I remember thinking it would be "fun" to collect the whole set. After 144 boxes, I only had 20 of the 36 and then CJ released the second series.