What can you tell me about this prize?

The place to ask your Cracker Jack Prize questions. (Open to All)
kkacan

What can you tell me about this prize?

Post by kkacan »

I was digging up a garden when I came across this. Some one told me that it was a cracker jack prize. Can you tell me anything about it?

It has a tie dye/ marble color.

larrydw

Re: What can you tell me about this prize?

Post by larrydw »

Hello,
Yes, the goat is a CJ prize from the 1960s. Nice marbleization!
Jeffrey Maxwell

Post by Jeffrey Maxwell »

Too bad the base is broken. This prize is marked "CRACKER JACK" on the bottom, but might not be visible due to the condition.
gsullivan

Post by gsullivan »

The goat is from a series of plastic prizes C1948. Sometimes the marbling on the prizes is quite delightful. Unfortunately this little goat has lost his tail somewhere along the way too!
Jeffrey Maxwell

Post by Jeffrey Maxwell »

Larry mentioned marbleization. Marbleization, the mixture of two or more colors to make a marbled effect in injection molded plastics, is one of the most popular features sought by collectors in plastic Cracker Jack prizes. Very few individual colors -- with the exception of solid opaque black, or perhaps translucent colors -- cause as much excitement as marbled plastic prizes.

The more contrast between the colors the better. For example, a prize with two different shades of blue can be beautiful, but give me a dark maroon piece with thick lines of stark white through it, or fiery streaks of yellow-orange through an otherwise solid black piece, and I get ALL emotional about it.