Are these vintage trinkets from Cracker Jack boxes?

The place to ask your Cracker Jack Prize questions. (Open to All)
GriffinClar1

Are these vintage trinkets from Cracker Jack boxes?

Post by GriffinClar1 »

Hi all!
I just purchased these on eBay, I'm planning on adding them to the brooches and hair clips I make. While they are seemingly vintage, i was wondering if they are possibly old Cracker Jack toys. While selling my accessories, I always like to have some knowledge about the vintage pieces I use! Any help would be greatly appreciated....THANKS!
Attachments
these are a metal of some sort
these are a metal of some sort
cracker jack 2.png (1015.14 KiB) Viewed 11537 times
these are made from celluloid
these are made from celluloid
cracker Jack.JPG (145.92 KiB) Viewed 11537 times
Cyndy Boesch

Re: Are these vintage trinkets from Cracker Jack boxes?

Post by Cyndy Boesch »

Hi, Welcome to our forum! None of the charms in your pictures are Cracker Jack. Some are gumball and peanut machine prizes; some of the celluloid ones in the second picture are bread ties. Originally, they had a short piece of satin type cord and they were looped around a bread bag to seal it. So much cooler than those wire ties we all accumulate. When you get your pieces made, why don't you post them here--they'd be fun to see.
GriffinClar1

Post by GriffinClar1 »

Thanks so much for letting me know where the charms came from! I still love them though, any piece of history is great! Since I 1st posted my question, I did a little (ok, a lot!) of searching around to see what I could learn about the charms, it didn't take too long to discover that it's quite common for these charms and many others to be labeled as Cracker Jack prizes, I guess because people just assume they are. That's actually how I came about owning these, and instead of doing my research in advance(oops!) I went ahead and purchased them. Another thing I learned from searching around, is that it could possibly be quite an insult to collectors if I were to alter these charms in any way, which I completely understand! My plans were to sew the charms( as is) onto the hair bows that I make as the center piece to add a bit of "flare", but now I'm on a standstill until I can find a way to not upset anyone! With that being said, I would love to hear from anyone willing to share(especially from you expert charm collectors/appreciators out there!) how they view my plans, because my intentions are to be nostalgic of the past, not destroy it!

Thanks!!
Cyndy Boesch

Post by Cyndy Boesch »

Hi again,
Remember you're the new owner of these items and can do with them what you want! Everybody's a critic. If you are sewing them onto something, you won't do any harm and it is way better to re-purpose something old, than put it in the landfill. Your plan of tying or sewing these on, is a good one. Today's glues often destroy early plastics or paint. Go for it!
Luke

Post by Luke »

Bread ties???? I've often seen them, but never knew what they were for, thanks for the info Cyndy!
CJFLASH

Post by CJFLASH »

Hi-
It sounds like a great idea to use the charms to enhance a brooch or hair clip. Plus it would be a great conversation piece!. Cyndy is right when she said to tie or sew the charms rather than use glue.
Post a picture of your final project - we would love to see it.
Nancy