Cheese Waffle Crackers

Reminiscing about old toys (non-CrackerJack), food and other things (Open to All)
Cyndy Boesch

Cheese Waffle Crackers

Post by Cyndy Boesch »

Also wondering if anyone else remembers a kind of snack cracker in the early 50's that was two cheese flavored wafers with a layer of cheese between them? The wafers had a criss-cross pattern embossed on the top and they came stacked in a skinny cylindrical can. They were long gone after about 1955. A favorite aunt always used to take me to a little old grocery store that had one wall of candy (never Cracker Jack, though) and I would always ask for those crackers. I was always disappointed because I could see the can, but the store owner only was using an empty can to brace the shelf! Does anyone else remember these or the product name? I'd love to know.
dianep2

Cheese Waffle Crackers

Post by dianep2 »

I do remember those crackers, Cyndy. I always thought they looked like little waffles. But I did not remember that they came in a cylindrical tin. And, I have no idea what they were called. But, your story moved me to tears. :cry: You poor little thing. You wanted those little crackers so badly and couldn't even have the empty tin because it was preventing a shelf from falling to the floor. Life is so unfair. :roll:
dianep2

Cheese Waffle Crackers

Post by dianep2 »

OK, I just did some online research. I found the snack you are discussing in an article on chowhound.com. The snack you are looking for has been called several different things over the years. Originally they were apparently called "Devonsheer Wafers." They have also been referred to as "Old London Waffle Snacks," "Wise Waffie Snacks" and "Wise Cheese Waffies." The last three products came in a bag and according to amazon.com are still available in some parts of the country but currently are not available on Amazon. The first title, Devonsheer Wafers, must be the one you remember, Cyndy, but so far I have not found a website with a photo of them. So, I don't know if they came in a tin. Someone more computer friendly than I, may be able to discover more on this topic. After all of this my mouth is watering. I WANT A CHEESE WAFFIE! :-| ||
Luke

Re: Cheese Waffle Crackers

Post by Luke »

Below are links to Amazon for Wise Cheez Waffies that are in stock...
Wise Cheez Waffies, 5-Ounce (Pack of 5) $22.08
Wise Cheez Waffies, 5-ounce (Pack of Six) $15.99
Wise Cheese Waffies, 5oz Bag - 8 Unit Pack $29.99

There's only a few in stock in each link, so be fast.
Luke

Post by Luke »

This is making me hungry! :)-
Luke

Post by Luke »

You can buy them from the Wise website -> http://www.wisestorefront.com/p-58-cheez-waffies.aspx
Cyndy Boesch

Post by Cyndy Boesch »

Thanks, Diane and Luke! Wonderful detective work! I am definitely going to order some of these. Can't believe they still exist. I guess I won't be able to use the bag as a shelf prop, though!
dianep2

Post by dianep2 »

Let us know if they are still as good as they used to be, Cyndy. Yum, Yum! :)-
Luke

Post by Luke »

I was in my local Walgreen's and saw some cheese waffle crackers. It's not too bad, but I need more cheese flavor. The waffle blocks the cheese from getting on my taste buds. Now I need some Wise Cheez Waffies to compare it to Jays.
dianep2

Post by dianep2 »

Sorry the Jay's were a bit of a disappointment, Luke. Do you suppose eating the Wise Cheese Waffies will make one a little wiser. If so, I should eat a whole bushel of them.