I picked these up for a 1.70 each

This is a general discussion forum. (Open to All)
edteach

I picked these up for a 1.70 each

Post by edteach »

The Shivas are not all that easy to find. Nice Marble lot. The Buddha is one of the nicer ones I have seen. I love the marbleizing

http://i63.tinypic.com/2edw2gn.jpg
Jeffrey Maxwell

Re: I picked these up for a 1.70 each

Post by Jeffrey Maxwell »

Hello edteach.

I bid on that lot. In fact I bid on most lots with 1950's plastics. But I can't win them all. Nice buy. Love those marbled colors.

Happy Collecting!
Jeffrey Maxwell
edteach

Post by edteach »

You won the other lot I bit on. I did not up the bid as I really wanted this on with the shiva. Yours had the two Buddhas. in it. The kicker was the Mummy.
Jeffrey Maxwell

That is the nature of things. Sometimes we get what we want. Sometimes we get what someone else wants. I want everything, but I have very limited means, so I can have only the real bargains. I have a few mummies, but not a lot. I have several Buddhas, but the handful of shivas I have are all very close to the same color. Sorry, I won't give up my shivas until I get more variety in colors.
edteach

Post by edteach »

Not counting the one coming in I have only 13, this will make 14. Lucky though in color, blue, green, red, pink, yellow. Nice diverse range. I also collect the Buddha and Mummy. These seem to be on eBay all the time. Not like the Shiva. I can go months and not see one for sale. I skip the over priced ones where someone want 15 dollars and 5 shipping for a Buddha or Mummy. too many out there to pay that.
Jeffrey Maxwell

Only 14? I have seen you posting about shivas for awhile. I thought you would have a lot more of them. I think all the ones I have came from large accumulations. I haven't ever bought any individually.

Have fun!
Jeffrey
edteach

Post by edteach »

Cracker jack prizes are about 110th on my list of things I collect. Its not a very top hobby for me. Civil war and ww2 firearms are number one. One US Civil war gun can cost in the thousands.
Jeffrey Maxwell

I understand. I was given the title "Collector of Collections" by an antique dealer acquaintance twenty years ago. To tell the truth, the reason why Cracker Jack prize collecting has moved back to the top of my list of priorities is because there are not too many collectors in some other items I collect. I am one of the top collectors of puppets made by Hazelle's Marionettes in Kansas City (1935-1985). But most of the leaders in the hobby have all passed away. Those who still have large collections are only interested in selling their collections, and once they learn I don't have a lot of money and am unable to purchase their collections at top retail value, they disappear. I get constant emails from people in areas where I am the leading known collector, but there is no one for me to ask questions, because on one has more information on the topic than I. So those collections have more or less turned into research projects trying to locate more information.

It is fun to have the largest collection in the world of specific items, but if no one else collects at your level, then it can be pretty boring. So you can see why I have finally returned to Cracker Jack. Unlike BellyWashers character bottles, for example, Cracker Jack is a large enough hobby that there are enough people interested in scholarship to make it interesting for me, but not so big, like say Coca-Cola, where I would be buried by a legion of super collectors. Plus it is where I started. Tiny bits of plastic were easy to store when I was a child, and now that I have a lot of prizes, it is still easy to organize with Riker mounts and three-ring binders. Unfortunately, I probably won't ever have a big enough space to display my collection all at once.

Happy Collecting!
Jeffrey Maxwell
edteach

Post by edteach »

Of all the things I collect CJ prizes seem to be one of the lowest interest. On the gun forums you put up a post today and tomorrow its 15 pages back. I can put up a post here and its up for three months in the top two or three pages. Same with WW2 medals, I know some don't under stand collecting German and Japanese WW2 medals and memorabilia but its popular and we are not trying to resurrect the Third Reich. When I started to collect WW1 German EKs or iron crosses you could pick up an EK2 for around 20 bucks. Now you are 125 for one and up. I paid 1200 for nice Sharps carbine 1863 New Model percussion non converted to ctg, now you are talking 4k and up for one in the same condition. I also collect Starr-X Bottle openers. Not the coke but more rare ones, GE, Kalvinator, Crosley ect. Now a GE will run 300 and up. A Pabst will run 500 and up unless you find one in a garage sale and they don't know what they have. CJ prizes not so much of a price increase. Even on eBay I don't see the pressure on them as other things I collect. That last lot I bought you bid on should have went for around 35 bucks or more. A buck 70 for a Shiva is a steal. My first one I bought to get one under my belt, I bought from a collector here and paid going rate of 15 bucks. I have not issue with it, I knew it was going rate and just wanted one. It became infectious and I wanted a few more. So I keep my eyes open for them, Buddhas, Mummys and the old sea captians that they pulled for looking like Stalin.
Jeffrey Maxwell

Yep.