Dowst Catalogs continued

This is a general discussion forum. (Open to All)
bsamu1

Dowst Catalogs continued

Post by bsamu1 »

I finally got a chance to post some sample pages from the Dowst catalog reprints that I have that I listed in a previous post a while ago. :waytogo:

Although the 1921 catalog items were manufactured by Dowst, It lists Calumet Manufacturing Company who I assume was a distributor (see image below) Does anyone know anything about Calumet? : )(

Has anyone ever seen the lamp post from the 1921 catalog (see image below), it appears to have had an insert made of gelatine like the others on the page. Does it exist? :confused: Does anyone have one of these? :?: Wanna trade for something? :banana:

I have also included a post from a Dowst catalog circa 1945 that shows a p-38 lightning plane (#1639 see image below). Does it exist? :confused: Does anyone have one of these? :?: Wanna trade for something? :banana: I am always looking for cast metal Dowst items I don't have. :xfingers:
Attachments
Sample page Dowst catalog page Circa 1945
Sample page Dowst catalog page Circa 1945
dowst1945-2.JPG (117.93 KiB) Viewed 5397 times
Sample page Dowst catalog page 1921
dowstcalumet1921_2.JPG (96.26 KiB) Viewed 5395 times
dowstcalumet1921.JPG (93.71 KiB) Viewed 5395 times
Ginger

Re: Dowst Catalogs continued

Post by Ginger »

Greetings Bruce! :hiya: That Dowst catalog is fun to look at! I am sorry to say that I don't have any of the items that you are looking for. I did happen to see the plane listed (#4550). It looks like my two little planes that I posted on "Is It or Isn't It"! :) Are you the neighborhood Dowst collector? Do you collect just Dowst items that were also Cracker Jack?
This squirrely gal is *NUTS* about collecting Cracker Jack prizes!
bsamu1

Re: Dowst Catalogs continued

Post by bsamu1 »

I started collecting diecast cars as a kid (Matchbox, Hot Wheels, Corgi, Dinky,and Tootsietoy). Since then, I have expanded my collecting and I collect all types of Cracker Jack prizes but I prefer metal ones (pot metal, tin, etc.) It was Alex Jaramillo's book that got me started. I had a few cast metal pieces and didn't know they were CJ until I saw them in the book. Now, I have well over 1000 of them. I also collect gumball charms, trinkets,etc. so I began collecting Cracker Jack as well. In addition to the items above I collect Glass Candy containers, old model airplane motors, advertising, cast iron toys, tin windups, and other types of toys as well. I have gotten to the point where I have so much stuff that I occasionally setup at antique/toy shows to sell stuff too.

Identifying cast metal prizes can be tricky since they were sold as novelties. I am always looking for information about the history of the stuff I collect and to better identifythose items which is why I am interested in old Dowst catalogs.

The planes you posted are basically the same as the one pictured. Dowst commonly cast slight variations with and without charm loops, studs, etc.