Looking for a buddha and siva CJ prize.

This is a general discussion forum. (Open to All)
edteach

Looking for a buddha and siva CJ prize.

Post by edteach »

I have been looking for Siva in a circle and any of the Chinese Buddhas. If anyone has seen them for sale or has extras I would be interested in buying them. Thanks
Luke

Re: Looking for a buddha and siva CJ prize.

Post by Luke »

I don't know which ones are the "Chinese Buddhas", so I scanned a sampling of possible candidates. It would be interesting to try and identify them all. Let me know which ones you're interested in, and I'll dig through my box of spares and let you know what I have.

A fellow CJCA member collects the seated Buddha, so I don't have any spares, as he get my spares (and everyone else's if he can help it.)

edteach

Post by edteach »

I would be interested in any of the chinese ones you have pictured.
Luke

Post by Luke »

I'd rather make friends and share my love of collecting with others than make any money. So, if you join the CJCA, I will mail you all 6 of the religious figures below, as well as a wiffenpoof that you've been looking for. That's all 7 pieces, just for joining. Not only that, if I run across a Shiva, I'll pass it along to you gratis. If that's acceptable, just let me know when you've mailed the form and check to our membership person, and I'll have the prizes in the mail to you.

Membership info -> http://www.crackerjackcollectors.com/joincjca.htm

edteach

Post by edteach »

How can I pass that up. You are more than fair. I will post a check with the application in the am post.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Wonderful! You can e-mail me the address you'd like me to send the prizes to, and I'll have it out in tomorrows mail. After the membership chairperson receives you application, I can upgrade your account here on the forums, so you can get to the good stuff. Perhaps a little premature, but Welcome to the CJCA!
larrydw

Post by larrydw »

Hello All,
Interesting subject in that I wonder if ANY of the 6 figures are "Buddha". I think there are 2 candidates, the far left in Luke's picture is in the typical Buddha lotus position, but I think some of those prizes are marked "HAPPY FATS" certainly not a reverent name. The other is the long hair person sitting on lotus leaves with hands in a prayer position 2nd from far right end).
I would imagine that CJ did not want to have a NAMED religious figure although they have Shiva and crosses, etc. but they probably wanted to stay aseptic religious. Most buddha representations show him fat although Gautma Buddha is typically thin especially early (4th century CE) representations of him.
I wonder who the 4 others are supposed to be??????
Back to my prayer wheel!
edteach

Re: Looking for a Buddha and siva CJ prize.

Post by edteach »

The seated one with hands praying is Kwan Yin a female Chinese god. The one standing with staff looks like Confucius. The Happy fats is a Chinese Buddha that was to portray a wealthy happy well fed god. He was used as a charm to bring wealth and good fortune. No positive on the Confucius but it looks like him.
Luke

Re: Looking for a Buddha and siva CJ prize.

Post by Luke »

edteach wrote:The one standing with staff looks like Confucius.
That would be a very good guess, as he is holding a fish. There's the old Chinese saying “Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.” The proverb is sometimes attributed to Confucius, and sometimes to Lao Tzu (the founder of Toaism/Daoism.) It looks like this thread is about to get very interesting.
jdnola

Post by jdnola »

The big guy is "Hoki God of Childish Mischief" rather than Buddha.* Some of these are identified on the back this way. I've never seen any marked "Happy Fats," though.

*See later entry below; Cracker Jack records listed him as Buddha.
Last edited by jdnola on Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.