Best pratices for cleaning, storing and displaying prizes

This is a general discussion forum. (Open to All)
Luke

Re: Best pratices for cleaning, storing and displaying prize

Post by Luke »

Jeffrey, yes do let me know if/when you start selling Riker cases. In the past I displayed my collection on the walls, and the duplicates were dumped in a box. Recently, I've been putting those extras in Riker cases. Does anyone use cabinets to hold/organize all of their Riker cases?
Cyndy Boesch

Post by Cyndy Boesch »

I've never tried to polish a soft plastic prize. They just get a warm water and soap bath. The Turtle Wax I was talking about comes in a round green container with a flat top and it's own applicator. They call it a paste, although when you open it, it's fairly soft. The applicator it comes with is a thick pad, so I use a barely damp rag. This same wax will clean up grimy board games and similar cardboard items that have a glossy finish. Just be careful that you wring every bit of extra moisture out of the rag and don't rub very hard. You use very little of the paste. The rule of thumb is to never try to clean anything you would be heartbroken if it was ruined. Don't even get me started on soaking your heavier paper cards. It's an exacting process that needs to be demonstrated and you need nerves of steel! I have successfully removed paper residue and glue from pieces that were glued into a scrapbook. I've used it mostly on the Canadian airplane cards and don't routinely do it unless the card is one I can afford to ruin. I once watched a baseball card dealer soak a 1915 Cracker Jack baseball card, but would never have the guts to try that.
spudgy

Post by spudgy »

I tried to find a picture of a really neat cabinet I saw a few months ago on the Internet... but no luck, so I drew this up. I only have 36 Riker trays and wanted extra space in the bottom drawers to hold duplicates, books, etc. Now if only I can find the time and energy to actually build it. Unfortunately, it's pretty far down on my to-do list but it's fun to dream.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (40.93 KiB) Viewed 5841 times