Advertising Display Box?

This is a general discussion forum. (Open to All)
spudgy

Advertising Display Box?

Post by spudgy »

I just came across a couple of Cracker Jack boxes at a local flea market that I hope someone can identify. They are sealed, empty display boxes about the size of a small shoe box, much larger than the typical CJ product box. They look fairly new and are printed like the current CJ boxes (not the early white). Can someone tell me what they were used for, perhaps the age, and if they are rare?

Thanks,

Patrick
gsullivan

Re: Advertising Display Box?

Post by gsullivan »

A picture is worth a thousand (or maybe more) words :D
spudgy

Post by spudgy »

Here are pictures of the CJ box alongside a regular box.
CJ Box 001 A.JPG
CJ Box 001 A.JPG (643.89 KiB) Viewed 9477 times
CJ Box 002 a.jpg
CJ Box 002 a.jpg (674.21 KiB) Viewed 9477 times
CJ Box 004 a.jpg
CJ Box 004 a.jpg (945.5 KiB) Viewed 9477 times
CJ Box 005 a.jpg
CJ Box 005 a.jpg (332.75 KiB) Viewed 9477 times
CJ Box 007 a.jpg
CJ Box 007 a.jpg (564.49 KiB) Viewed 9477 times
spudgy

Post by spudgy »

I hope the pictures in the previous post aren't too big. If so, I can reload smaller versions.
Harrietj

Post by Harrietj »

At one time these boxes were sold strictly as gift boxes. They came in three sizes. The largest was
18" x 11" x 5" in depth. The medium size was 13" x 7 in.x 3 1/2 in. The smallest one was 10" x4 1/2" x 2 1/2 in. They were not a mailaway or anything like that. They were sold in stores. They did not seem to be on the market for a very long period of time. They are marked Borden and Borden sold off Cracker Jack in 1997 to Frito Lay so they were out before that time.
j
Attachments
002.JPG
002.JPG (133.39 KiB) Viewed 9467 times
Luke

Post by Luke »

I have nothing to add to this thread, other than to say...
:popcorn: I could eat all the Cracker Jack in the larger box, in one sitting. :popcorn:
spudgy

Post by spudgy »

Thanks for the helpful information on these boxes, Harrietj. These are the 13" boxes (actually, 12.5 x 7 x 3.5). Pre-1997 would make these boxes at least 14 years old. If they were gift boxes, then the top flaps had to have been open to begin with and somebody glued them down later. I imagine they were sold broken down flat. I bought three of the five the dealer had, thinking some other collector might want one. For now, one of them is going to be displayed with my Crackerjack tins. I just wish they were the same design as the white boxes I remember from the fifties.

Luke, I don't think even I could eat one full box in one sitting, but would love to give it a try. I've been buying five boxes of Crackerjack at a time from Cracker Barrel. Trouble is, I have to open them all immediately to see what I got (like any normal 71-year-old kid), then I end up eating them all at one time... well, all in one day. I just bought the only box C.B. had left today but learned that I can get on the C.B. web site and order a complete case and have it delivered to my local C.B. Hmmm. I bet if I do that, they'll all contain the same alphabet letter.

I do wonder how big the prize would have been in a box this size.

Thanks again,

Patrick