CCC - Sticks Tricks

The place to ask your Cracker Jack Prize questions. (Open to All)
Luke

CCC - Sticks Tricks

Post by Luke »

COSI has a video that they play for visitors showing various Cracker Jack prizes. While watching it I saw, what I believe is, a Carey Cloud CJ prize - Stick Tricks.

It matches the description Z-917 "Stick Tricks - 12 tooth picks inserted in mla. envelope"

The image quality is poor, but I can read: STICK TRICKS - Arrange the enclosed 12 sticks as they are...

Does anyone have this in their collection, or does anyone have a better image of it?
larrydw

Re: CCC - Sticks Tricks

Post by larrydw »

Most honourable Lukosan,
Unless Carey Cloudosan ventured into the land of the Rising Sun, I doubt if he originated this prize, as I am quite sure it is marked "Made in Japan". Of course he could have made a Chinese copy of it and brought it to the US, however my puns and play on words run out at this point. Besides I have probably offended every ethnic group except the Poles (CJ Mikie) and the Scientologists.
Luke

Post by Luke »

larrydw wrote:Most honourable Lukosan,
Unless Carey Cloudosan ventured into the land of the Rising Sun, I doubt if he originated this prize, as I am quite sure it is marked "Made in Japan". Of course he could have made a Chinese copy of it and brought it to the US, however my puns and play on words run out at this point. Besides I have probably offended every ethnic group except the Poles (CJ Mikie) and the Scientologists.
Mr. Larry,

The above pic could very well be of Japanese origin. I wish I had a better picture to confirm it.

We believe that CCC has "re-invented" some prizes, such as his jute paper Twirlies, the Cowboy Puzzle, and the Costume Doll Cutouts. So it wouldn't be too surprising if he "re-invented" Sticks Ticks. If you have any images that you can share publicly, or privately, I'd love to see it.
larrydw

Post by larrydw »

Hello Luke,
Thought I had one or at least a picture but can find neither right now. If I find it (I also lost my mind and hunting for it) I will send the info.
Luke

Post by Luke »

larrydw wrote:Thought I had one or at least a picture but can find neither right now. If I find it (I also lost my mind and hunting for it) I will send the info.
I don't have 1/1000 th of the photos you have, and I can't find anything. So if it takes awhile, I'll understand.

Do you know if the Japanese Sticks Tricks uses tooth picks, or if it's another type of stick? I was curious, as I saw the image below, on the COSI video. It has what look like blue colored sticks. I have no idea if this is Sticks Tricks, or another CJ prize.

larrydw

Post by larrydw »

I would imagine that the Japanes used circular sticks. "Our" version of the toothpick originated in the US and came as either the flat tapered one or the point on both ends. Most are made in Maine - guess you have to develop something to pick the moose out of your teeth? ? ? ?
gsullivan

Post by gsullivan »

Hi All,

My notes indicate this prize was designed by Carey Cloud also. It is C 1939 per my notes. Gail
gsullivan

Post by gsullivan »

P.S. Here are the instructions from mine:
"Arrange the enclosed 12 sticks as they are show in the diagram. Then change positions and make 6 triangles. Check solution on flap. Bend 5 sticks in center and arrange as shown on left. Next, drop water in center. Watch sticks form a star. Made in U.S.A." As soon as I physically locate mine ;) again, I'll attach an image.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Gail,

You're some kind of wonderful!!! Thanks :)
gsullivan

Post by gsullivan »

I have not located my physical Sticks Tricks prize, however, I was able to find this wonderful photo of it that I hope shows the info clearly. And Larry, you aren't going to like this part ..... the photo is courtesy of you. I hope you don't mind its use here. Don't worry losing your mind is temporary! I've lost mine several times and so far it has not been permanent :D
Attachments
scan0008.jpg
scan0008.jpg (83.35 KiB) Viewed 20208 times