Hunting for CJ at an antiques fair

This is a general discussion forum. (Open to All)
painter

Hunting for CJ at an antiques fair

Post by painter »

Hiya,
Tomorrow I'm going to one of the biggest antique-flea markets in my area (upstate NY), and of course, I'll be looking for CJ prizes. :banana: Any tips on the best way to go about this? Should I dive into giant barrels of stuff, hoping there's some at the bottom? :roll: Or just ask all vendors if they have any? :confused: Looking for suggestions here...

And also,
here's a snaptogether I have, missing his hat. Anybody know what it looks like when undamaged?
Thanks, and have a peek at my "parade' in the celebrating forum
Donna Miller
Donna Miller
painter

Re: Hunting for CJ at an antiques fair-OOPs!

Post by painter »

I forgot the picture file :-| || here it is
donna miller
Attachments
snaptogether.jpg
snaptogether.jpg (35.93 KiB) Viewed 8499 times
Donna Miller
CJAAAJ

Re: Hunting for CJ at an antiques fair

Post by CJAAAJ »

Hi, Donna :hiya:

Here are some general type rules that I have used over the years when going to collectibles shows. :)

1. I wear clothing that identifies me as a Cracker Jack Collector!
You decide what is best for you!

2. Take your want list of what you need for your C. J. collection.
One can get overwhelmed with all that is available at shows!

3. I always ask the sellers if they have anything "Cracker Jack"
I still look over their stock for myself as sometimes the seller
forgot or does not know they have a C. J. item!

4. If you see a scarce or rare Cracker Jack prize that you need and the price, after negotiations, is what you can afford, BUY IT because someone else will buy it at that show! Don't expect it to still be there after you have gone around the room.

5. Easier to find Cracker Jack Prizes can be passed up until you have completed going around the sellers tables!

6. Don't be afraid to ask the seller his or her best price for the item or items you are interested in buying.

7. Have fun and happy hunting!

I will have to check my collection to see if I even have that snap-together prize! :|d

CJAAAJ :D
THE MORE YOU COLLECT, THE MORE YOU WANT!
painter

Post by painter »

Hi Alex,
Thanks for all the good advice! If I find great stuff, I'll be sure to post it here :headbang:
Donna Miller
Donna Miller
gsullivan

Post by gsullivan »

Hi Donna :hiya:

Alex gave you some great tips :)clap

Your snap-together man is one of a set of prizes by Gold Premium Corp. circa 1965. The prize is an action prize. You are missing the little trigger piece that goes with the toy. It is marked "TNT." The man also has a top hat. When you snap his coat tail the hat pops off. In addition to the pink color you have, I know that prize also comes in red as I have it in red. Many collectors have "pieces" and you may find the missing pieces one day. Happy Hunting!
painter

Post by painter »

Thanks, Gail!
Yup, the advice was great, but the fair wasn't, no real antiques or collectibles at all, just tube socks, silver rings and teeshirts :( So I'll have to try those strategies at a real antiques show.
Thank you so much for the information about the action toy. I guess he went :flamed: too many times before I got him!
Donna Miller
Donna Miller
dianep2

Post by dianep2 »

Hi Donna, It was great to see your little snap-together prize. Hopefully you will find a hat for him eventually. Alex gave you great ideas for shopping. The only thing I would add is looking over your prizes carefully before making your purchase. I have found that sometimes when dealing with the 1950's plastic pieces there might be something broken off that isn't real noticeable until you get home with it. For example: antlers broken off of deer, elephant trunks break easily and a piece with a cowboy holding a rifle may be missing the end of his rifle. If the price is right, you may not mind paying for a piece with a small flaw. But if you are paying top dollar, you may want mint condition.

I also went antiquing today and was fortunate enough to find some great paper pieces. I discovered two of the 1926 booklets, and a set of the cut-out dolls from the 1920's. I was so thrilled I really was on cloud nine! :cloud9:

Well Donna, once again, I'm so sorry you didn't find a real Cracker Jack deal but I bet you look very fashionable in your new Tee shirt, tube socks and silver rings. :lol:

Have a nice Memorial Day, Donna and be sure and tell us about your next antiquing trip.

Diane :popcorn: