Carey Cloud finds

The place to ask your Cracker Jack Prize questions. (Open to All)
Cyndy Boesch

Carey Cloud finds

Post by Cyndy Boesch »

At the Rochester, MN flea market I ran across one lot paper items I recognized as Carey Cloud pieces. There were seven pieces; five were Carey Cloud for sure and the other two sure look like they are. I have scanned the seven. The first scan are the two I'm not sure of, the next scan has two prizes used by Carey Cloud in his mail order business, and the last scan has two prizes used by Cracker Jack on the top and another also used by Carey Cloud for mail orders. The dealer said they all came together. The paper and ink on all seven is identical. Harriet, what do you think of the first two--Cloud or not?
Attachments
Cloud#3.jpg
Cloud#3.jpg (146.16 KiB) Viewed 12702 times
Cloud#2.jpg
Cloud#2.jpg (182.45 KiB) Viewed 12703 times
Cloud#1.jpg
Cloud#1.jpg (141.04 KiB) Viewed 12701 times
Luke

Re: Carey Cloud finds

Post by Luke »

Cyndy, what a fantastic find! :)-
I've never seen the first two, but it's always possible that it's a Cloud item. The first item, was printed by Litho - USA, which was often used by CCC. It looks like I need to go to more flea markets! :)clap
Is the Handy Tricks the same dimensions as the Cartoon Puzzles? Both have Made in U.S.A. printed at the bottom.
dianep2

Post by dianep2 »

Wow, Cyndy!

You sure had the "the luck of the Irish" with you when you spotted these finds. They are super :!: Be careful. Luke will be stalking you to the ends of the Earth. :evil:
Harrietj

Post by Harrietj »

First a quick note. This is my new Avatar at the suggestion of Alex. Thanks Alex! This picture was taken at the First COSI when Larry and Mary allowed me to tag along while taking pictures of prizes for his books. The oversized top was one John Craig made for The Cracker Jack Co. Lobby.

Cyndy you certainly made a great find. Next trip I bet you will go to the last building first!!!
As many of us know, Carey Cloud had another business where he would advertise in a magazine for a child to send fifteen cents and the child would receive a packet of ten games or paper toys. This was World War 2 when metal was not available. The picture at the bottom of the page shows one called 9 Secret Tricks and Stunts ...which I am sure is the first picture only the wording has been switched a little. The Handy Tricks I cannot confirm but it was probably used in another of his mail away offers. It fits the size and look of things he used and we have not found it as a CJ prize.The Jolly Mix Up Puzzles and the 10 stamps also show up on the list of items received in "A Bag of Fun" and once again a word or two has been changed. The Cartoon Puzzles and Riddle Rhymes have been confirmed as CJ prizes in the past.
If you read the front of the envelope It mentions Monkey Ring Toss and The Navy Game which were both used as CJ prizes as well as in these envelopes. The Turner family at the bottom was in this group also. Just turn the paper around and you will find 5 more faces.
We often commented on how Carey Cloud put his name on everything. Looking back it's obvious that he was not marking his earlier toys. He said once that he learned the lesson the hard way and started to mark everything. He did not mention a specific incident, but it seemed as if someone had taken some of his ideas.
Attachments
scan0016.jpg
scan0016.jpg (157.41 KiB) Viewed 12638 times
bacj

Post by bacj »

Harriet, wonderful avatar! When Alex showed me your picture at our recent mini-con (that's what we call it when two or more of us get together :D :lol: :P !) we agreed you had to use it!! Thanks for all the information about Cloud, too. Barbara
dianep2

Post by dianep2 »

Harriet, I love your avatar and the giant top you are holding. In fact, it is so cool it makes my head "spin." :roll: If you were to bring that top to the next convention, I'm sure you would beat out Jerry in the top spinning contest. :mrgreen:
Harrietj

Post by Harrietj »

Hello Diane and all - As much as I would like to bring that top for the top spinning contest I would first have to try to steal it from COSI which would probably include jail time so therefore would miss the Convention.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Harriet, I'd love to see the box of Cracker Jack, that had that top in it. :)- I love your avatar. %)h
Cyndy Boesch

Post by Cyndy Boesch »

Hi Luke, Yes the Handy Tricks, 5 Riddle Rhyme Puzzles, Jolly Mix-Up Puzzles and the Crazy Cartoon Puzzles (the one that has the Free Shave picture) are all the same size. The other three are odd sizes.
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Greetings Cyndy! :hiya:
What a fantastic flea market find! I really enjoyed viewing your new prizes. :D

Hi Harriet! :hiya:
Now that avatar speaks a thousand words! :humbsip:
How much does that top weigh? looks heavy.
This squirrely gal is *NUTS* about collecting Cracker Jack prizes!