Old Family Cracker Jacks

This is a general discussion forum. (Open to All)
littlelady

Old Family Cracker Jacks

Post by littlelady »

My family has lost the last of a generation and we are preparing for a spring estate sale. I have the area of toys. That includes items from my Gradmother's school room days (probably taken from distracted students) to my own sibling days of the 50's and 60's. There are some older items, all clearly marked Cracker Jack, that I have not been able to easily value. Can you tell me if there is any item worth over $5 or under $1 in this lot?
The bird bubble puzzle is obviously the newest item. The star says "Cracker Jack Police". The black paper with Jack writing, then erasing the words is really a neat thing and I may keep that. I have no idea how old it is. Any information will be helpful.
Thank you.
bacj

Re: Old Family Cracker Jacks

Post by bacj »

Hi Littlelady,

You have some very nice items and all of them are worth more than $1! I would be very happy to pay you $125 for the L is for Lunch prize and you might do even better than that on eBay. The other most sought after prizes would be the Sailor Jack erasing the blackboard, the two older bubble top palm puzzles, the Bess and Bill booklet and the fortune teller wheel. It's always hard to say what an item will go for on eBay but my guess would be between $50 and $100 on each of those prizes. The Cracker Jack Police badge is fairly common but it should be worth at least $25. The others? Maybe in the $5 range.

If you decide to keep the Sailor Jack blackboard prize, be sure to get Alex Jaramillo's book, "Cracker Jack Prizes" which is a collectible in itself. Alex shows an adaptation of the blackboard prize on the cover of the book. It has a moving wheel and would be a terrific go-with for your prize. In fact, it might even turn you into a Cracker Jack collector, as it did me!

Good luck with your sales,
Barbara
littlelady

Post by littlelady »

bacj - Thank you for the comments. I must say I am surprised. Can you contact me directly? I do not have access to send messages, must be an official member thing and not a 'registered' user.
littlelady
Luke

Post by Luke »

I'll e-mail (bacj) Barbara and let her know that you'd like to contact her directly. By the way, you have a lovely little collection started.
larrydw

Post by larrydw »

Hello littlelady,

Just some comments and observations on your collection. One, if you have other Cracker jack items not pictured, they may be worth the "more than $1" criteria, so if there are others that you want to share, please feel free to do so.

The Sailor Jack at the blackboard appears to be creased (both sides bent at the far edges) which will diminish its value (still more than $5.). The second Fortune Teller CJ does have some wear to edges (i.e. "played with" condition). The Bess and Bill is also played with, the back, if it has a checkers box would be worth slightly more than either a CJ box or Angelus box. The palm puzzles, cow-over-the-moon and man with glasses will have their worth effects by the back and whether it is blank, has a red or a blue CJ box, or has "Gee Cracker Jack is Good" on the back. The bird is in the $1-5 range but could fall below your $1 criteria. The CJ badge should have a stud on the back. The top appears to be metal. The two banks, although great and still worth more than $5.00 may not bring a $75-95 that it would years ago, but more in the $25.00 range. The L for Lunch magic color is a hard to find prize especially in unused (not painted) condition.

Except for the bird palm puzzle, all are worth more than $5.00 and some of the value will depend upon what the back design is as well.
Stewart Callner

Post by Stewart Callner »

Hello All...
I think the top is Bakelite. Similar to the colorful plastic ones, but the dark brown ones are Bakelite. Slightly different moldings, slightly different font on the lettering.
SC
littlelady

Post by littlelady »

Yes, the brown top is bakelite.
Thanks for all the info.