Little glass figures

The place to ask your Cracker Jack Prize questions. (Open to All)
LauraG

Little glass figures

Post by LauraG »

I recently, on e-bay, came across little glass animal figures (less than 1 in. tall) that they are saying are cracker jack prizes. I googled the history of cracker jack prizes and can not find any reference to them. Does anyone know what I am talking about and are they truly prizes?
larrydw

Re: Little glass figures

Post by larrydw »

Hello Laura,
I believe what you are referring to are the Czech glass figures. They are about 7/8" tall and come as a pug dog, cat, rabbit, etc. These are Cracker Jack prizes - however with a caveat. I think the ones with the collars and "eyes" (little glass diamonds) are not true CJ prizes; the reasoning being that the "eyes" were too easily lost and at this time (late 1920s to early 30s), the prizes were loose in the package and not put in a paper wrapper. So loose eyes would have been eaten with the popcorn. Probably up until the 30s, CJ bought prizes that were not always exclusive to CJ, they would have been sold to others and so these Czech figures would be sold by others, like the old 5&10c stores. So the prizes could be CJ or "other" sources - minor technicality.
So, without the collar and eyes, the glass figure could probably be a CJ prize.