Stand-up Toys with a Roll on the Base

The place to ask your Cracker Jack Prize questions. (Open to All)
spudgy

Stand-up Toys with a Roll on the Base

Post by spudgy »

Does anyone know anything about stand-up toys that have a barrel roll in the middle of the base? I know the rockers have smaller rolls but these are different. The roll is in the middle of the base, like between the person's feet. The shapes are definitely Cracker Jack and they are mottled. I couldn't find anything like them in my books. --Thanks.
Luke

Re: Stand-up Toys with a Roll on the Base

Post by Luke »

Thank you for posting the question. Are you talking about these rockers?

spudgy

Post by spudgy »

No, these aren't rockers, they're various other shapes like the Indian with a peace pipe, cowgirl with rope, and squaw with papoose. I just got them off eBay and they're the same size as the CJ's but with very slight differences on the base. I'm wondering if they're knock-offs (replicas) but I can't imagine it would be worth the effort and expense for such inexpensive toys. Maybe cereal prizes or a game of some sort... Oh, and they're not as well trimmed around the perimeter, with some left-over plastic in places. -Thanks, again.
spudgy

Post by spudgy »

New info! I just discovered a boxed set of cowboys and Indians on eBay and the shapes I bought are the ones in this set, except that the boxed set doesn't appear to have the rolls on the base.
Here is the auction ID where I bought mine: 400139222998 and here is the auction ID for the boxed set: 110567067441 . I'm beginning to believe mine came from a similar boxed set.
Thanks for helping. -pat
Luke

Post by Luke »

Those are Cracker Jack prizes, and it appears they were also sold in box sets separately from Cracker Jack. They were made by NOSCO (National Organ Supply COmpany) If you have access to a copy of Larry White's book, Cracker Jack Toys, you can see this series of prizes on pages 130-131. They are the Stand-Ups Western (F-0200, F-0300, F-0400, & F-0500 series), the bases vary between each of the series.

Wonderful prizes, I wish that Cracker Jack had these as prizes when I was growing up, as they would have been played with for hours, and hours, and hours.
spudgy

Post by spudgy »

Thank you so much, Luke. You've been a great help. --pat
Luke

Post by Luke »

You're welcome Pat.
I've looked through my meager collection of Cowboys & Indians, but haven't found any with the rolls in the middle. Below is a sampling of what I have, just in case there's anyone who doesn't know what toys we're talking about.
spudgy

Post by spudgy »

Hey, I love the balloon comments on the rockers! Neat! And the new pictures you posted are much appreciated. They all look like good, clean examples. I've often wondered about the best way to clean dirty ones without damaging them. As for display, I'm currently using a metal cabinet with shallow drawers with black felt as the background, but I've run out of space. I like them to show.

I was going to use the browse feature to insert a picture of the pieces with a roll on the base but couldn't find the browse button. I guess I'll load the picture to PhotoBucket a little later.
spudgy

Post by spudgy »

Finally... here is the picture of the pieces with a roll on the base . Hope it works.
larrydw

Post by larrydw »

Hello All,

First of all, I would not put much faith in Larry White's book.

I would say that the NOSCO stand-up with the roll are NOT CJ prizes. The NOSCO CJ prizes are usually never found with the flashing or extra plastic or seldom underfilled. I have seen repros from the same molds that have the flashing and are not CJ. Having never seen these NOSCO rollers before (over 20 years), I would suspect that they are newer releases; i.e. someone obtained the original molds and are making crude copies. Notice that on most figures, there is either an overfill or underfill.

Now, the main puzzle is "why the roller"? As an aside. is the top of the base marked "NOSCO". The original series had the NOSCO; however one could purchase the same figures, sans NOSCO, from comic books, stores, etc.