Early Sailor Jack in the Park

Old Cracker Jack Photos (Open to All)
jdnola

Early Sailor Jack in the Park

Post by jdnola »

I wonder what the one child did to get to have Cracker Jack, or what the others did so bad that they didn't get any? That'll teach 'em!
cjphoto.jpg
cjphoto.jpg (87.46 KiB) Viewed 17690 times
cjphoto2.jpg
cjphoto2.jpg (27.4 KiB) Viewed 17690 times
Attachments
cjphoto3.jpg
cjphoto3.jpg (36.46 KiB) Viewed 17690 times
gsullivan

Re: Early Sailor Jack in the Park

Post by gsullivan »

:)clap I adore this photo! :)clap

The children in their hats in the buggies are charming as are the other children in their hats. The boy with the Cracker Jack box is in that perfect classic pose to get the prize at the bottom of the box. And while I love the children and buggies this picture touches me in another way. The children look like they are with a nurse with her white dress, hat, shoes, and stockings. The large building in the left background makes me believe perhaps these children are wards of an orphanage or hospital. I could be mistaken, but I like to think that the box of Cracker Jack, along with the manicured grounds, is a bright spot for these children! Thanks for sharing! :banana:
jthornton

Post by jthornton »

Neat picture Jim, thanks for sharing. Maybe the "nanny" bought each boy a box CJ for helping push the buggies. Perhaps she was taking the children for a walk in Park. The older boy may have eaten his box of CJ and is hiding his prize behind his back and anxious to see if the younger boy received a better prize than he did. Anyway nice picture. :) Judy
dianep2

Post by dianep2 »

Hi all,

Yes, Jim you have posted a gem of a photo. And I like the fact that we all have different ideas of just what is happening in the picture. Now, I have a different feeling about the whole scenario then Gail. I agree with Judy. I think that the young woman is a "nanny" for a rather wealthy family rather than a nurse at an orphanage. The children seem too well dressed to be orphans. The one with the box of CJ is wearing a darling sailor suit. And would nurses at an orphanage buy CJ for their little wards? I also think the beautiful wicker carriages seem to be in too good of shape for use at an orphanage. The little tyke in the white wicker carriage seems upset that the child with the CJ is not sharing. He looks as though he may be protesting. Whatever. Now it is driving me crazy that we shall probably never know the real story behind the photo. :???: But I love trying to figure it all out. Jim, do you think this photo was taken in Chicago? If so maybe a historian could help us figure out what the background buildings are. What a mystery! :roll: :???:

Thanks for posting, Jim.
jdnola

Post by jdnola »

Thanks, Diane. I don't know where the picture was taken, but it came to me from Ypsilanti, MI. I wonder if it was taken there and if any of the buildings are still standing.
dianep2

Post by dianep2 »

Oh my gosh! Ypsilanti, Micigan? I grew up about ten miles south of Ypsilanti, Michigan. Most of my relatives lived in Ypsilanti and I spent a great deal of my childhood there. That was in the 40's and 50's and no, that is not I in the carriage or standing next to the nanny. No nannies in my houselhold. And I think this picture is from a much ealier decade.

Ypsilanti is the home of Eastern Michigan University which is where I earned both my bachelor's and master's degrees in the late 1960's. Both of my daughters earned bachelor and master's degrees there as well. The buildings in the background do look like they could be a part of the university. Ann Arbor is only about five miles west of Ypsilanti and that, of course, is the home of the University of Michigan. (Go Blue!) The photo could have been taken on U. of M's campus as well. Oh, I wish my parents were still living. I bet they could have told us where this picture originated. They probably even knew the nanny! :|p You know, I could maybe drive to Ypsilanti's historical society and ask for some help with the picture. My home here in Westland is about 20 miles east of Ypsi. I sometimes go to Ypsi and Ann Arbor to visit relatives still living in the area. When I have time, I shall try to do a little research. Of course, if the photo wasn't taken in Ypsi, this may lead to nowhere.

If I should discover anything, I shall tell all.
jdnola

Post by jdnola »

Diane,

Whether the photo was taken there or not, it is so neat that this all lead to such interesting information! Thanks for it.

Jim
CJAAAJ

Post by CJAAAJ »

Hi, jdnola :hiya: :D

What a great "slice of life" photo! :D
That nanny or nurse has her hands full with four (4) children to look after. Maybe the box was passed around between the children, check out the middle boy with a hat he appears to be eating something, Cracker Jack perhaps? Cracker Jack and a stroll in the park what a fun day for the children! The Cracker Jack box is from the 1918-1925 era. Those two men in the background are wearing strawhats also popular in this time period. :geek:
CJAAAJ :nutty:
THE MORE YOU COLLECT, THE MORE YOU WANT!
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Greetings everyone! :hiya:

This photo is wonderful! :P I love old pictures and seeing this one, with a boy holding a box of Cracker Jack, just takes the "prize"! I agree with Gail that the woman is dressed in a nurses uniform. Perhaps she is just the older sibling in this photo. It appears that they are all in a pleasant park. It's full of trees, there is lake in the background, people are out strolling around. Diane, my husband and I lived in Ann Arbor for 4 yrs while he got his degree. I don't recognize any of the buildings though. Perhaps it is the "quad"? Who knows what it looked like a 90 years ago! :confused:

It's amazing how much conversations one picture can bring about!
This squirrely gal is *NUTS* about collecting Cracker Jack prizes!
Cyndy Boesch

Post by Cyndy Boesch »

What a cool picture! I think the lady must be a nurse, based on her white hose. But, I have never seen a nurse's cap like she is wearing. It looks like the dark colored fabric with ties down her front is an old fashioned infant carrier, but the kids in the photo would be too big for it. I had a great aunt who was a "practical nurse" (today's LPN) and she and her roommate were both hired as nannies for wealthy families on the east coast, right out of school. Maybe that is the case, here.