last lot for a while

The place to ask your Cracker Jack Prize questions. (Open to All)
edteach

last lot for a while

Post by edteach »

I am getting too many little toys. LOL I need to slow it down, but this lot was picked up for about .50@.
Attachments
!B-dYGi!!Wk~$(KGrHqN,!mEEy+jC1qTKBM8sZmwNj!~~_3.jpg
!B-dYGi!!Wk~$(KGrHqN,!mEEy+jC1qTKBM8sZmwNj!~~_3.jpg (49.1 KiB) Viewed 10588 times
!B-dVZ3QEGk~$(KGrHqJ,!ksEy+jCvweJBM8sVpz12w~~_3.jpg
!B-dVZ3QEGk~$(KGrHqJ,!ksEy+jCvweJBM8sVpz12w~~_3.jpg (61.43 KiB) Viewed 10588 times
Luke

Re: last lot for a while

Post by Luke »

What a great find for 50 cents. I think I need to go shopping where you shop.
dianep2

Post by dianep2 »

Me too! You have some wonderful pieces in great colors. Good for you "edteach." I am very envious. :mrgreen:
edteach

Post by edteach »

.50 Each. I used the @ sign just so it is not thought I got them for .50 for the lot. Got them on Ebay doing a lot of shopping and waiting. You can find deals but have to be able to part when people bid too high, and let it go. I got one lot for 12 and the other for 1.99 by waiting and bidding. Unless its very rare there will always be another. Dont get attached.
CJAAAJ

Post by CJAAAJ »

Hi, edteach :hiya:

That is a nice group of plastic Cracker Jack Prizes! :)clap

Now, how about thinking about joining the CJCA, you are a Cracker Jack Collector now! Join our great group of people and expand your knowledge of a fascinating, fun hobby, Cracker Jack Prize and item collecting! :D

Just click on the "Join CJCA" icon on the top of this page and fill out the form, you will be glad you did! :humbsip:
CJAAAJ :nutty:
THE MORE YOU COLLECT, THE MORE YOU WANT!
dianep2

Post by dianep2 »

Yes, edteach, you really should join our group. Maybe you could even make it to our convention in Minneapolis this June. You would have the time of your life if you can come. :D
Jeffrey Maxwell

Post by Jeffrey Maxwell »

Hey Ed! If I had a nickle for every time I heard, "I'm getting too many little toys"... But it's usually someone else like my wife who is saying, "Don't you have enough already?" He he, she hasn't seen anything yet. Meche never saw my old collections, and I have only collected again for a short time since I married her, so she doesn't have a clue what she is in for.

I would buy a thousand of these types of CJ prizes for 50 cents apiece. In fact, I have, whenever possible. But the main reason I want to reply to this post is to talk a little bit about condition. Once you get to a certain point, it is a good idea to start taking a closer look at what you are buying. Condition is key in any collection. I have bought several cool items in lesser condition over the years because I didn't have examples of those prizes, but eventually, it is a good idea to pass on some things -- at any price -- if they are damaged or worn.

I have bought many thousands of CJ, cereal, and other plastic prizes from photographs over the years, so I have become pretty good at spotting details. After a quick glance at your photo, I hope you don't mind if I point out a couple of "details" that I notice about condition in an effort to help collectors notice things that are second nature to me.

Photo 1, row 3, no. 3 -- This rabbit has received heat damage. The top of the ears has been melted. Also, it appears that the base is warped, also from heat.
Photo 2, row 2, no. 4 -- This fish plate has a major crack.
row 3, no. 3 -- This bee dangle has major abrasive wear. Dirt doesn't bother me, because a little dishwashing liquid and a soft toothbrush can fix that, but this kind of wear is something that can't be overcome.
row 3, no. 2 -- This C.J.Co. lion can be cleaned up, but if those scratches are deep, it really devalues this item.

MY PHILOSOPHY ON CONDITION: A collection is assembled for a number of different reasons, but ultimately we hope to be able to show the collection to others at some point. When others view our collection, they are often not experts in the same area that we are, so they only judge by first impressions. Unfortunately the first thing that someone notices when looking at a group of objects is condition, and the worst condition items tend to stand out the most. So my goal is always to continuously upgrade the condition of my collection. I become more discriminating about wear and tear over time, and try to weed out all the things that detract from a collection. I would rather have 20 mint condition items than 200 of the same thing in beat up condition.

I live in South America now, so there are no Cracker Jack prizes here. But I have started collecting prizes from a number of other food products, such as chips, cookies, chocolate, candy and gum. The problem I am running into here is that although there are numerous collectors, mostly kids, who want to trade with me, I seldom find items in good enough condition to trade for. Maybe I am too strict. But in my book, an item is not worth collecting unless it is near the same condition as it came out of the package. When I run across lesser-condition older items I am interested in, I might add them to my collection as examples or fillers until such time as I can find another example in better condition.

The ultimate, as in anything, is to find a balance. For me, the fact that I can't trade with anyone here is a real disappointing part of my hobby. But I also have the best kick-ass collection of snack prizes on my block. In the end, I look forward to returning to the USA someday where it is easy to find collectors in my area of interest that I can trade with to catch up on all the US products I missed out on when I was away. I know I have a lot of cool stuff they've never seen before.

Best wishes in your collecting. And most importantly, HAVE FUN!