Current Prizes

This is a general discussion forum. (Open to All)
cj59

Current Prizes

Post by cj59 »

Hi All,
I have been curious lately. Has Frito-lay indicated if they have any plans to revise the current prize assortment? It seems to me that they really haven't done much with the brand for a couple of years. I continue to buy but have fear that diminished sales will kill our favorite treat. It is still fun to search for older prizes but it would be nice if future collectors have something to chase for as well.

Doug
Luke

Re: Current Prizes

Post by Luke »

I always remain hopeful. :)
Harrietj

Post by Harrietj »

We were told sometime this past year that new prizes were in the "works" but that they take some time to get them ready to distribute.i don't remember the soure but am hopeful it won't be too much longer.
Harrietj
Luke

Post by Luke »

I'd be happy to see the MLB sticker come back for spring and summer, so I can finish my collection of them.
Jeffrey Maxwell

Post by Jeffrey Maxwell »

I would like to know why FL has dropped the ball on CJ prizes. Seriously, someone should ask them to join the 21st Century. Or has FL stopped communicating with the Association? If CJ is such a poor selling product for them as I keep reading on the web, then why are they not putting out kick-ass prizes with licensed properties? (GET WITH IT AND CHANGE THE PACKAGING FOR EACH PROMOTION!) They do it with the FL chips.

How many times have we heard that FL has mechanical limitations to the types of prizes they use? Maybe it's time to stop making excuses and change the limitations. If they can figure out how to put celephane wrapped plastic Tazos and tattoos into bags of chips, they can certainly figure out how to put similar prizes into CJ.

Internationally FL puts out their own brand of pogs called Tazos with licensed images that are HUGE in Australia and popular in Latin America. I have also collected very high quality temp tattoos from FL chips products here in Peru. Some of the products I have collected here in the past couple of years included licensed items such as Bakugan Battle Brawlers and Shrek from FL; from other brands of snack products Nickelodeon, The Simpsons, Marvel Superheroes, Pokemon, Pucca, the animated movies "Rio," "Toy Story 3," "Shrek," "Speed Racer", as well as popular Latin American television programs, to mention a few.

The bottom line, FL is working out licensing agreements for prizes and promotions all over the world. So why is CJ left out of this? CJ, of ALL BRANDS (for crying out loud!), the pioneer product of in-package prizes, should be leading the way in the market of prizes from television, film, and video game promotions and other major licensed properties. Sure I get the connection between CJ and baseball, but is an occasional series of MLB prizes the best way to reach their potential market? If they seriously want to sell some Cracker Jack, they need to get busy and compete with other snack brands, including their own FL products. What is the best way to get younger people interested in collecting CJ prizes? Easy, put some Spongebob or Timmy Turner prizes in there. Now I would collect those!
Stewart Callner

Post by Stewart Callner »

I agree with you, Jeffrey. This sentiment was expressed in my entry for the "Jingle Contest" at the recent convention.
I'm sure that there are a number of us that feel this way...

The prizes suck, there's peanuts missing.
Can't you hear the children hissing?
Cracker Jack, my friend, you see,
Just ain't what it used to be.

Though marketing is non-existent,
We're given hope but for an instant;
It's what we sing at seventh inning.
The hum you hear is Rueckheim spinning.
larrydw

Post by larrydw »

Hello Everyone,
I believe FL has basically "written off" CJ. It does not fit in with their salty snacks. They will continue to produce it, without any advertising, until it falls below the magic line where it is no longer profitable (or "as profitable" as other lines), then its demise. Some other company may pick it up if the price is not too steep. Unfortunately, CJ does not have an extensive fan base. Most of this comes from a former (4 months ago) FL insider.
In stores around my area FL has a shelf space PRESENCE that is 10-20" long. CJ is relegated to about 8 bags on a hang tag.
To paraphrase Winston Churchill, "This is not the end of the beginning, it is the beginning of the end".
Jeffrey Maxwell

Post by Jeffrey Maxwell »

@Larry. You are right my friend. It is a sad state of affairs!

@Stewart. I am still laughing about your jingle. That is priceless.