Can anyone help this guy out with a Cracker Jack ring??

This is a general discussion forum. (Open to All)
Luke

Re: Can anyone help this guy out with a Cracker Jack ring??

Post by Luke »

Hello Devin, and welcome to the Cracker Jack Collectors Association forums. Tonight I'll dig through my meager ring collection, and will see if I have a red or a pink ring. I probably don't have what you're looking for, but I'm sure someone here will be able to help you.
DPennebaker

Post by DPennebaker »

Thanks Luke! Much appreciated!

By any chance, do you have one that's a thicker solid band and steel/silver in color?

Here's a shot of the one from the movie:

Thanks everyone!

Feel free to email me at dmp274@gmail.com

-Devin
larrydw

Post by larrydw »

Hello Devin,
WOW is that the close-up of the real ring from the movie????? If so, it's not Cracker Jack. Aside from the fact that the CJ ring did not come in a satin lined box, it would not have been engraved and not a two-tone metal. Other than all that, the closest you may come is a simple metal band, some may be thicker but not a flat one.
The question now becomes do you want a real CJ ring or one closest to the one in the box? If the latter, ebay has an auction for a couple of two metal flat rings. Do a search for Cracker Jack and wade thru the 1000 entries.
Let us know which way you are heading.
DPennebaker

Post by DPennebaker »

I can say with absolute certainty that this is a close-up of from the actual movie.

Lol, it took 4 days of scouring Google, but I found one!

As the story goes, the engraving and two-tone quality were added at Tiffany's, but the underlying metal band was a "Cracker Jack" ring. Whether or not this was an actual Cracker Jack ring is up for debate.

I'm just curious if anyone has something close to what's pictured.....I think I can handle getting ahold of a box ;)

Thanks everyone! You're a great help!
larrydw

Post by larrydw »

Hello Devin,
I imagine that the only "authentic" Cracker Jack item was possibly the box (and that was probably a made-for-the-movie prop), everything else was the prop man's idea and director's idea of what would look good.

Here are a couple of "real" CJ rings from the 1920s to 40s. CJ had rings in later years but they typically were the split ring (one size fits all depending upon how much you have to stretch the sides) either in silver or gold pot metal, some plain, most with a plastic "jewel", crudely made. Similar rings were in gumball vending machines and sold in 5 and 10 Cent stores. These latter rings are more apropos for proposing divorce than marriage.

Again, I think you have to decide on whether you go for the earlier Cracker Jack ring or the movie ring. Sticking to CJ rings, you won't come close to the look but right on for the sentiment. It will be pot metal, not engravable, thin, etc. At best it will be a pinky ring as the diameter of these are about 1/2". could be worn around the neck on a chain. If worn, expect discoloration of the ring and the ring wearer. If you opt for the movie ring, you are better off picking costume jewelry rings. You can better match the width, finish etc; however, it will be as close to CJ as blue avatars being real.

larrydw

Post by larrydw »

Hello Devin,

Interesting, I am watching Breakfast at Tiffany's on YouTube, part 7 about 9 minutes in at the Tiffany scene where George Peppard produces the Cracker Jack ring out of his pocket (no box, no wrapper - nada). They leave the ring to have it engraved with just initials. They don't say what the engraving will be but the "HG" stands for Holly Golightly.

In part 9 1:30 into the part, George exits Tiffany's and pops open their box and the ring with the initials show. Interesting to learn (according to another post, another site) that to this day, Tiffany's will still engrave a CJ ring).

I would go with the costume jewelry equivalent of the CJ ring. Why? Well Paul did not pull the ring out of a box, and why would he be carrying around a CJ prize anyway. Sounds like he had a ring and "made up" that it came from a CJ box (keeping everything under the $10.00 limit). You could always say that "It is the Breakfast at Tiffany's Cracker Jack ring." So what if it is not a "Cracker Jack ring like the one in Breakfast at Tiffany's". Now you lawyers can see the difference in those statements.

Defense rests.
DPennebaker

Post by DPennebaker »

Thanks everyone for weighing in!

You've really given me a couple good points of view and I have to admit, it's going to take some thought in order to pit sentiment and accuracy against eachother to see who comes out on top.

One way or the other, I'll keep you guys posted!

Thanks again for the help from the experts, you guys are great!
omgchris

Post by omgchris »

Hello everyone!

Let me start by noting that you are all very wonderful people for assisting those before me on their quests for noteworthy proposals.
My girlfriend has always been infatuated with all things Audrey Hepburn, Breakfast at Tiffany's of course being a bit part of that. We've been together for almost 7 years and started to date our senior year in high school. I'm working on my elaborate proposal at this time and I think one element that would set it off would be a CJ ring as an imposter before I pull out the real thing. Would anyone be kind enough to help another guy out with a ring? I'm not pickey and don't want anything that's of any real value (I know you're collectors after all!). I'll gladly pay a fair price and cover shipping if necessary. Any ring will do, and the more Cracker Jack-looking the better.

Also I'm ashamed to hear there are people out there not relaying the outcome news to those who've helped them with rings. I'll be sure to follow up and if things go as plan you can probably watch it on youtube.
Thanks!
Luke

Post by Luke »

Good morning omgchris, and welcome to the forums. I only have a few and they are in horrible condition, not worthy for something so important. I'm sure others will have a nice one for you. Is your e-mail address valid? Some may try to contact you directly, and if the e-mail address bogus, you might not get their message.
omgchris

Post by omgchris »

Awesome thank you for the heads up Luke, I'll be sure to keep an eye on my email!