Do you remember this, too? (Flav-R-Straws)

Reminiscing about old toys (non-CrackerJack), food and other things (Open to All)
Cyndy Boesch

Do you remember this, too? (Flav-R-Straws)

Post by Cyndy Boesch »

Does anyone else remember getting a product in the 1950's that was a large clear straw filled with round candy pellets (sort of like the sprinkles they sell for cake and cookie decoration now, only bigger) and it had a plastic toy attached? I remember getting tools like shovels and rakes. They were bigger than Cracker Jack toys and taped to the top of the straw. Do you remember the name of the product or where it was purchased (candy store, grocery store, etc.)? Also, does anyone remember those straws that you would put in a glass of milk and the milk would turn to chocolate or strawberry? Any idea what those were called?
dianep2

Re: Do you remember this, too?

Post by dianep2 »

Gee Cyndy, I don't remember those straws. You must be a lot older than I. :humour:
spudgy

Post by spudgy »

I definitely remember the Flav-R-Straws from the mid-fifties. They didn't work that well but we enjoyed trying them. I did an Internet search and found the following:

"Flav-R-Straws were made by Frontier foods,1956, in Mount Vernon N Y. Came in chocolate and strawberry flavors and the flavor was inside the straw"

If all else fails, go to the Internet!

-patrick
Cyndy Boesch

Post by Cyndy Boesch »

Oh, thanks for remembering the name of that product! It was a great trip back...!
dianep2

Post by dianep2 »

Yes, thank you, Patrick. I still don't remember the straws. :|d I must have been a culturally deprived child. :?
Luke

Post by Luke »

TIME Magazine December 26, 1955 Chocolate Straws. A drinking straw that turns plain milk into chocolate milk has been put on the market by Los Angeles' Frontier Foods Corp. The Flavr Straw contains a strip of sugarless chocolate that dissolves in the milk passing through. Frontier Foods plans soon to add strawberry and root-beer flavors. Price: 23¢ a dozen.
Image Image
Strawberry and Chocolate, just two of the many flavors.
larrydw

Re: Do you remember this, too? (Flav-R-Straws)

Post by larrydw »

I can remember the straws with the chocolate and strawberry in the straw, I also remember I think vanilla which was not a hit. Never did see a root beer and a root beer milk just turn my stomach. Coffee was, of course taboo. No prizes - kinda like the current CJ!
dianep2

Post by dianep2 »

Oh, I don't know. Wouldn't a root beer milk be just like a melted root beer float? Or does it still sound pretty bad to you, Larry.

Nice to hear from you, Larry.
Luke

Post by Luke »

That's what I was thinking Diane, a root beer float!
Hiya Larry!!! \:)/
lreyver

Post by lreyver »

I never tried it myself, but I heard from stories how tasty the chocolate straws were! Isn't there a similar item available nowadays? I haven't seen anything which is a pity! It would be a great for parties, like a birthday cholate for the kids' drinks! At least I would use it... it's a good idea and sounds like fun (and who can resist chocolate?)
Last edited by lreyver on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.