Is the "Mummy" really from 1969?

This is a general discussion forum. (Open to All)
Donovan

Is the "Mummy" really from 1969?

Post by Donovan »

It's listed in the CJ book as being released in 1969, but it seems stylistically more like the prizes released in the early 50's, i.e deep drawn, marbleized plastic etc.

Any thoughts or specific info?
dianep2

Re: Is the "Mummy" really from 1969?

Post by dianep2 »

Hi Donovan,

Yes, I can see why you would question the mummy being created in the 50's rather than the late 60's. They sure look like they could be a part of the series of Asian figures from the 50's. But I do think they are prizes of the 60's. You mentioned "the book" referred to them as being from the 60's but you are somewhat doubtful, as I would be. I assume by "the book" you may have meant, Larry White's book, "Cracker Jack Toys." Are you familiar with another earlier book written by CJCA member, Alex Jaramillo? It is titled, "Cracker Jack Prizes." His book also pictures the mummies as being a part of the 60's era. Since we have two CJCA experts confirming the mummies are 60's, I think they are from that decade. What would we do without these dedicated, hard working researchers who took the time to publish and share their knowledge with us. (Donovan, don't tell them I said that. I wouldn't want their talents to go to their heads.) Alex and Larry, do you want to add anything to this discussion?

Hope this helps, Donovan.
Luke

Post by Luke »

dianep2 wrote:They sure look like they could be a part of the series of Asian figures from the 50's.
I display my mummy/sarcophagus with the Asian religious figures. Even though it's from the 60's and it's not a religious figure, it just seems right to keep them together. Perhaps it's because when I see a sarcophagus I can't but help of thinking about Egyptian gods.
dianep2

Post by dianep2 »

;) Makes sense to me, Luke.
CJAAAJ

Post by CJAAAJ »

Hello, Everyone :hiya:

Donovan your feeling of the mummy, "seems stylistically more like the prizes released in the early 50's, i.e deep drawn, marbleized plastic etc." , are correct. I know that this Cracker Jack Prize is listed in mine and Larry White's books as from the 1960's but this Cracker Jack Prize is from the 1949 to early 1950's period. How did this error occur? Well, at the 2nd or 3rd CJCA Con's "Is it or isn't it" talk I explained a few of the errors found in my book, "Cracker Jack Prizes". This was one of them, the three mummies on page 73 of my book were misplaced by the publisher from the 1950's to the 1960's! I guess Larry just took my mistake as correct into his book.
Diane, thank you for your support but now we all know "the rest of the story", as Paul Harvey used to say on his old radio show! :ugeek:
Luke, all of the Asian gods plastic figures come from the 1949-1955 period from many different toy prize suppliers to the Cracker Jack Company! :D

CJAAAJ :nutty:
THE MORE YOU COLLECT, THE MORE YOU WANT!
dianep2

Post by dianep2 »

Alex, thanks so much for clarifying the information in yours and Larry's books. And thank you for solving the "Mummy Mystery." Donovan, thank you for being so observant and questioning some CJ information that just didn't make sense to you. Your "gut" feeling turned out to be correct :!:
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Thanks Alex!

Appreciate the clarification. Now hopefully I can acquire one of these (or more) for my collection. They seem to be somewhat scarcer than the oriental figures or "deep drawn" animals.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Diane, you were at that convention, how could you have forgotten about that?

Alex, thanks for letting us know about the book error. I'm pretty sure Santa will be sending you a KerChoo train for you this Christmas.

Donovan, it's not that they are rare, but they are highly sought after and hoarded. One of our fellow CJCA'ers has a nice collection them. Also, I recently found a photo from someone named Nutty Mads on Flickr, who has 84 of them.
dianep2

Post by dianep2 »

:o Wow! That's a lot of mummies. Thanks for the great photo, Luke. And Luke, that convention took place hundreds of years ago when I was but a wee child. Not only do I not remember the mummy discussion, I don't remember what I had for breakfast this morning either. (Maybe it was Cheerios? No, I think it was Frosted Flakes. Wait a minute. Frosted Flakes were yesterday. It must have been pancakes. No, that was dinner on Tuesday night. I give up!) :?
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Wow! Nice mummy collection.

I've been accumulating quite a few polar bears (10+) that I've found in lots. I'll take a pick and post them soon. The polar bear has become my favorite "deep drawn" stand up. They seem pretty common and they come in a broad range of marbleized colors, including blue, which seems to be the scarcest color seen in the marbleized prizes.