How to get my collection appraised?

This is a general discussion forum. (Open to All)
Luke

Re: How to get my collection appraised?

Post by Luke »

That's great advice Jeffrey. I've never sold Cracker Jack items, and I've only bought 20 times from eBay in the last 15 years, so I didn't feel qualified to offer any advice. Everything you've said echoed what I believed about selling a large collection. Basically, if you want to sell it fast and all at once you'll only get a fraction of what it's worth. If you have the time and patience to sell it on eBay you'd get more money.
Jeffrey Maxwell wrote:ADDITIONALLY (To Everyone) - I would be particularly interested in knowing where this group of tracing stencils comes from - photo 551. They look like possibly cereal prizes (but they are not R&L because they are too small), or maybe even party favors.
I love them, but I don't know who made tham. By the way, what's R&L?
Jeffrey Maxwell wrote:Hey Luke! It might be fun to do a seminar about selling on eBay at the CJCA convention. But I don't know if there would be that much interest. Most collectors have at least some experience buying on eBay, but I think many save their "sell" items for the convention.
Are you volunteering? Perhaps you should talk with CJAAAJ.
Jeffrey Maxwell

Post by Jeffrey Maxwell »

Luke wrote:Everything you've said echoed what I believed about selling a large collection. Basically, if you want to sell it fast and all at once you'll only get a fraction of what it's worth. If you have the time and patience to sell it on eBay you'd get more money.
Luke -- You know me well enough by now that I seldom hesitate to give my opinion, advice, or tell a story related to any topic. I started selling collectibles and used merchandise when I was a child -- so like 100 years ago. When I was in high school some family members called me "Wheeler Dealer." They wondered why I didn't make a lot of money selling collectibles, but that was simply because I get bored easily, and I became emotionally attached to the products I was supposed to be "selling." When I returned to the United States I started selling on eBay in large part to prove that I can use my accumulated knowledge to make a living at this business. (I'll let you know how that works out.)
Luke wrote:By the way, what's R&L?
R&L was a Melbourne Australia plastic molding company (1954-1977) that was most famous for Nits series of 20 plastic space aliens that came in packages of Cracker Jack in the 1960's. Nits (along with many other series of plastic prizes) also came in Kellogg's cereal and other food products around the world. The most famous collector of R&L products is fellow collector Mike Speth (known as Astronit), who has a website about "R&L Company" at http://astronit.tripod.com/RLco.html
Luke wrote:Are you volunteering?
I would have no problem doing a workshop about selling on eBay if there were some interest in it. I just can't predict when I will be able to attend a convention.

Have fun!
Jeffrey
Luke

Post by Luke »

Jeffrey, thanks for the link about R&L, it's nice to learn something new everyday.
epankow

Post by epankow »

Jeffrey Maxwell wrote:This is a cool collection of prizes. It would be great to see it in person. I see a lot of items that I know to be Cracker Jack. And there are many that are not Cracker Jack. Paper and metal prizes are outside of my main area of interest, so I will let others address those. I can address plastic items.

1. The following photos have items that were NOT likely found in packages of Cracker Jack. (I used to say "They are NOT Cracker Jack" but I have occasionally been found to be wrong.) Many of the items you have are cereal prizes, dime store toys, gum machine charms, cake decorations, and other things that might resemble Cracker Jack prizes but have no connection with Cracker Jack. All are cool.
Photos 553, 554, 555, 556, 557, 551, 552, 533 (comic book flats), 538 (cereal prizes), 539, 523, 524, 525, 526, 527 (gum machine prizes), 528 (gum machine prizes), 529, 530-532 (cereal flats), 513, 515, 516, 517, 522, 508, 509, 510, and 512 are not Cracker Jack.

2. The following photos have many items that were NOT likely found in packages of Cracker Jack.
Photo 558, 514.

ADDITIONALLY (To Everyone) - I would be particularly interested in knowing where this group of tracing stencils comes from - photo 551. They look like possibly cereal prizes (but they are not R&L because they are too small), or maybe even party favors.

HERE ARE MY THOUGHTS ON SELLING THIS COLLECTION:
1. Do not accept appraisal for any part of this collection by photo. No one will be able to judge the condition of these items without handling them. Do you really want an appraisal? The only reason I would ever get a collection professionally appraised is if I were going to insure it. Otherwise, you really just want to know how to liquidate the items. An appraisal will not help you with that.
2. The easiest way to sell items like this is through a big auction house. Downside: They will pick the top items they want to sell, and you will still be stuck with a houseful of stuff that you still have to figure out how to get rid of. Also, small items and collections of small items will generally demand selling fees of 25 percent or more. Upside: If you sell through a company that specializes in toys, they will often get higher prices for items they sell, because they have the customer base.
3. The fastest way to deal with it is to find a reputable toy dealer who can buy the whole lot. Upside: You don't have to spend a lot of time dealing with it. Downside: You will get 10-30 percent of retail value at best, because any dealer will base their offer for the whole collection on only the items they know they can sell the quickest. (I would guess that most dealers are going to go for only the Cracker Jack prizes and collectibles, and they would not make an offer on the rest.)
4. You can sell at toy, antique shows or flea markets. Upside: It is a lot of fun to meet the person you are selling your items to. Downside: It is a lot of work to unpack and repack a load of stuff every weekend, not to mention gas prices to travel to shows. And it is probably the slowest way to get rid of volumes of stuff. HOWEVER: I noticed that you have quite a few duplicates in your photos. You might take some duplicates to a local toy show and "shop them" to dealers who have similar items for sale. They will pay you a wholesale price, but it might be a way to get a feel for selling toys, and you might make a contact who can give you additional ideas about how to sell your collection. Many "dealers" at toy shows are collectors working to help finance their collection and to be in a position to add new things to their own collections with a "dealers advantage."
5. A note on commission sales: THINK CAREFULLY before accepting an offer to sell your items for you on commission, because even if you find a trustworthy show dealer (or even an antique store or mall), it will still take a long, long time to sell them -- and it may take a long time to get payment for your cut of items that do sell. I made real money at flea markets in the 1980s and antique malls in the early 1990's, but nowadays it is really hard to make money in those venues, mostly because it is so much more convenient to buy and sell on eBay at home.
6. If you have five years to deal with it, then start listing the collection on eBay (smaller lots for older items, larger lots for newer items) and let the general public decide how much it's worth. Downside: This will become your second job, and will take a lot of time. Also, you have to pay 25 to 30 percent in fees to eBay and PayPal (about the same as an auction house). Upside: You will most likely realize more money than any other method over the entire collection, and you will be able to sell most everything you have eventually. Also, it might be a way to start a part-time business for your whole family to participate in that you might choose to continue into the future. (By the time you sell several thousand mini promotional toys, you will be an expert on running a business on eBay.)
6. If you want to wait a year, you could take your collection to the next CJCA convention. (I guess they will have one next June.) And you can sell parts of your collection to some of the top Cracker Jack collectors in the world. (I have some experience with that too.)

Hope this is helpful information. Much of this last part is brainstorming and might need some fine tuning. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hey Luke! It might be fun to do a seminar about selling on eBay at the CJCA convention. But I don't know if there would be that much interest. Most collectors have at least some experience buying on eBay, but I think many save their "sell" items for the convention.

Happy Collecting!
Jeffrey
I will say since starting selling cards on Ebay it's so much easier for me to manage how to go about selling things and listing them. Before I was killing myself just trying to make a sale, but now I've learned how to make money and also give out great deals as well. I will more than likely start putting lots up(small lots) soon, but I will have to talk to fiance' about it since after all she's the one who inherited it not myself. I'm just more or less here to help her as much as I can to get some clarity on this whole situation. After looking on Ebay though I do feel we'd get a fair shot selling "auction style" rather than "buy it now" to get a good sale price. Again Jeffrey I do appreciate your input as I know your selling wisdom is beyond my own intellect, so I take in everything I get. As Sarah posted on facebook we will be taking more pictures this weekend, and hopefully have them up by no later than Sunday.
Luke

Post by Luke »

I just remembered, my dog Josephine has a Facebook account. I'll leave notes on the Cracker Jack prizes designed by Carey Cloud, and will point out that any that rare ones. Those you'd probably want to sell individually.
epankow

Post by epankow »

Luke wrote:I just remembered, my dog Josephine has a Facebook account. I'll leave notes on the Cracker Jack prizes designed by Carey Cloud, and will point out that any that rare ones. Those you'd probably want to sell individually.
Thank you! We'd greatly appreciate it. I've been searching for stuff on Ebay, but I can't find any prices to go off of. When Sarah get's home and I talk with her we may start listing as soon as today. I'll keep you posted since I know you were interested in the carey cloud collection.
Luke

Post by Luke »

epankow wrote:Thank you! We'd greatly appreciate it. I've been searching for stuff on Ebay, but I can't find any prices to go off of. When Sarah get's home and I talk with her we may start listing as soon as today. I'll keep you posted since I know you were interested in the carey cloud collection.
I am partial to Carey Cloud's toys, but I'm biased as he's my great grandfather. I wish I could give you an estimate of their value, but I've only began collecting a couple of years ago, so I'm learning along with you.

Enough yappin', get to posting more pictures. ;)
epankow

Post by epankow »

Luke wrote:
epankow wrote:Thank you! We'd greatly appreciate it. I've been searching for stuff on Ebay, but I can't find any prices to go off of. When Sarah get's home and I talk with her we may start listing as soon as today. I'll keep you posted since I know you were interested in the carey cloud collection.
I am partial to Carey Cloud's toys, but I'm biased as he's my great grandfather. I wish I could give you an estimate of their value, but I've only began collecting a couple of years ago, so I'm learning along with you.

Enough yappin', get to posting more pictures. ;)
I got some more pics of from what I believe is the last of the flats(I may be wrong though as we haven't gone into the closet yet). I talked to Sarah and it looks like I'll be putting some stuff in small lots tonight. They will consist of 3-5 pieces of whatever it is I'm listing. I'll give you the links to the items when they are listed.
larrydw

Post by larrydw »

Hello all,
Here are my thoughts, they may not be pleasing but some I think are the facts of life.
There are a lot of duplicates and non-CJ items in this collection. Both will discourage advanced collectors who do not want 50 of an item they already have or pay for gumball charms.
It will be VERY labor intensive but your best bet (highest return) would be internet auctions and flea markets. A lot of the pot metal items I would not pay $0.50 each as they are too common and I could not sell them.
If you have earlier items and just a photo of a ryker mount but not 4-5 photos of the details would give me a better perspective of your collection. More photos of different prizes.
You may want to engage a professional ebay seller to sell these for you. I forget what the exact term is but there are sellers who will sell your items at a fee for you.
Lastly is going to an auction. This is probably the least time consuming on your part and will net you the lowest dollar amount - unless you have a LOT of really spectacular items.
Again, my opinion, but what I have seen in the market (25 years in antique business and 15 years collecting CJ).
Jeffrey Maxwell

Post by Jeffrey Maxwell »

larrydw wrote:It will be VERY labor intensive but your best bet (highest return) would be internet auctions and flea markets.
Do I hear an "AMEN"!!! Thank you, for the emphasis on "VERY" Larry. If I figured up the amount of money I make selling online compared to the amount of time spent working on it, I can safely say I make less than half of minimum wage after taking out all the fees and expenses. (The good thing about selling online is that I don't have to pay a lot of money for clothing for work and gas to get there.) You have to love it to be in this business. However, I wouldn't want to be doing anything else.

Have fun!
Jeffrey