1970's anyone?

This is a general discussion forum. (Open to All)
krod

1970's anyone?

Post by krod »

I am new to this forum. I am trying to fill in my 1970's collection. Not sure how to find people who like to trade or sell prizes. I have too many duplicates of mazes and pinball toys. Thanks for any advice. :D
Cyndy Boesch

Re: 1970's anyone?

Post by Cyndy Boesch »

If you join the Cracker Jack collectors Association for a small membership fee you will be able to access the entire forum (as a visitor, there are limited topics you can view). When you can access the whole forum there are topics which include collector's wish lists and also things they have to trade. This would open up a whole new world of collecting to you. Also, the amount you learn from other collectors is amazing! You will find that Cracker Jack collectors are some of the nicest people you will ever meet-we're all like a bunch of kids who somehow got stuck in adult bodies. Hope you do join us--and Happy Collecting!
krod

Post by krod »

Thanks. Sounds fun. It might be best to join in January. Membership year is about to end. I have been buying on ebay and trying to happen upon them in antique shops. I find I have to buy large lots to get certain things. Hopefully I will have duplicates of what others are looking for. My cracker jack memories are mostly from the 70's but also interested in 50 and 60's prizes. Can't wait to join the fun. :D
Luke

Post by Luke »

Krod,

Can't wait to have you aboard as a member. I'll need to organize my collection of items to trade away. Which will take some time, but hopefully it'll be done before the New Year. Are you looking for anything in particular from the 50's and 60's?
krod

Post by krod »

My 50 and 60's are very slim. Having a hard time finding things. Most of my pages only have 1 of different things. I just love it all. It would be fun to complete some pages. I thought I had a good start of a collection until I read Larry White's Cracker Jack Toys book. Makes you want it all. :)- I am looking for 3 traffic signs to complete the whole set (soft shoulder,keep to right except when passing and speed zone 25). I also only have 2 tools (plastic) and missing a few c.Carey people of many nations dolls. I am also looking for the cocker spaniel, poodle,dashhund and wire hair terrier to complete the dogs. I would love to find tilt cards,rockers, snap together anything encyclopedias and palm puzzles. Most of my duplicates are 70's but have a few dogs and nation dolls ,1 extra baseball player a few whistles and too many yellow blow on it spinners. Still in need of pretty much everything. I spend a lot of time in antique shops hoping to find my next Cracker Jack prize. I will post my wish list when I become a member. It sounds fun place to trade and learn. I wish I found this forum sooner.
Luke

Post by Luke »

No need to wait until January to join up. Most of us try to send in our paperwork and money in November or December, but if you're worried just be sure to write that you're applying for 2014.

Which two tools do you have in your collection? I'm sure I have a few extras lying around in my box of many wonders. All of my Cloud prizes are displayed in cases on the wall, and everything else is jumbled together in large plastic bags buried in a box somewhere. I think I mentioned before that I'll have to organize them, and it's true, I do. Are you collecting both sets of the Dolls of Nations series?
krod

Post by krod »

O.K. I will print and send in application now. I think the doll set I started was from 1960's. The dolls do not have a base or the country name printed on them. I have 9 of the set. What year was the other doll set? I do have 12 nation dolls that are cream with stand. I know they are not Cracker Jack..I believe these are 1950 nabisco cereal premiums. I think I have an extra Japan,Egypt and Ireland in the Carey Cloud set. The tools I have are a light blue ball peen hammer and pink pliers. I am just getting started with the 50 and 60's prizes. I have about 51 from 1950 and 29 from 1960. I hope to eventually fill my book. I know I have a long way to go. I thought I would try to collect 50,60,70,80's to start and always keep my eye out for early ones. I found the green 1950 occupied japan beetle clicker in an antique shop a few weeks ago. I was so excited my first tin toy. I bought another clicker that was with the beetle not sure if it is Cracker Jack. It is yellow with a lady wearing a red one piece bathing suit on a diving board. Can't wait to see what you find in your bag of wonders. Thanks.
Luke

Post by Luke »

The dolls with a base were made in 1954, and the ones without a base were made in 1958. The Cracker Jack company reordered those a couple of times, so they may have been in the boxes up to 1964.

The cream colored dolls you have sound like Van Brode dolls. I have a few of those myself and I love them. Van Brode was a milling company with their own line of cereals. I believe there are 32 figures in the set. They also came with Tastee Freez ice cream. The dolls that came with the ice cream has two raised diamonds on the bottom, that snapped into a slot into a plastic bowl. They were also the company that invented the "spork", part spoon, part fork. You never know when that bit of trivia could come in handy, so memorize it. ;)

I'll be digging through my junk pile tonight, and will send you an e-mail.
dianep2

Post by dianep2 »

Gee Luke, I continue to learn from you. I loved your information about the premiums from the Tastee Freeze. I worked at the Tastee Freeze in my home town in 1963 and 1964. I'm sorry to say we did not give out little dolls or sporks. :confused: What a disappointment. :(
Luke

Post by Luke »

Sister D, I had no idea you were an ice cream girl. That makes you even more wonderful than I thought possible!

As for the sporks, that wasn't until the late 1960's, so you would have been gone by then. I should clarify that Van Brode came up with a plastic version of the spork. They've been around in various forms for a century, but they were stainless steel or silver.