Cracker Jack Calendar Prize?

The place to ask your Cracker Jack Prize questions. (Open to All)
chadb

Cracker Jack Calendar Prize?

Post by chadb »

Hi All. I looked for a search function but couldn't find it, so I have the usual question--Is this a Cracker Jack Prize? It's a calendar, the same size as a Cracker Jack paper prize. Came in a lot I won on eBay. Thanks, Chad

Luke

Re: Cracker Jack Calendar Prize?

Post by Luke »

Hello Chad, and welcome to the CJCA forums,

Cracker Jack items from the 1920' is a bit earlier than the items I collect, so I couldn't tell you with any degree of certainty. However, looking through Larry White's book Cracker Jack Toys, on pages 61-62, item # C-8903, there is a reference to a paper wheel calendar for 1928. There's no photo in the book, and I'm assuming a wheel calendar has a paper dial with a metal grommet in the middle. Although I could be very wrong about that. Hopefully someone who knows a bit more than me will comment on it. Does it have all the pages to it? I would think that there would be a Cracker Jack or a Checkers logo on the back of it.
chadb

Post by chadb »

Thanks for the welcome and info on the prize, Luke! :) Yes, it has all pages intact, but there are no identifying markings of any kind on any of the pages. I have also searched everywhere online, but nothing even remotely close comes up for this or anything like it. I guess I'll list it on eBay and see if anyone is interested. I collect mainly the 60s-90s Cracker Jack paper prizes, so I really don't have any use for this one. -Chad
Luke

Post by Luke »

I'm sure some calendar collector will snatch it up. It would also be a great birthday present for someone who was born that year. Best of luck on the sale.
Cyndy Boesch

Post by Cyndy Boesch »

Does the back page of the calendar look like it might have been glued to something? Somewhere I have an old Christmas card and affixed to the front was a tiny calendar, which was to be removed and used through the year. Kind of like an extra inclusion. I have one of the calendars Larry's book is referring to. It is round and printed in blue. It doesn't have anything to do with Christmas. It is from the 1920's--I'm not sure of the year.
chadb

Post by chadb »

Thanks, Luke and Hi, Cyndy, thank you for the info. No, there are no glue marks on the back--just the blank back paper cover. I just did a search on eBay using the new information you gave me, and I think you are correct. I came across two old Christmas cards and each had a different "1938" calendar affixed to the front, roughly the same size as this one, and the string stitching across the top was the same. So I think that's what this is. Too bad--I was hoping it was a Cracker Jack Prize. Strange that the size and thickness is the same as most Cracker Jack Paper/Book prizes that came later, plus it came in a CJ lot I won on eBay, so I thought that's what it might be. :?

-Chad