Monopoly pieces as Crackerjack Prizes

This is a general discussion forum. (Open to All)
marmo

Monopoly pieces as Crackerjack Prizes

Post by marmo »

My mother-in-law had these and claimed they came from Crackerjacks. I wonder if they came together or someone had to collect all of the pieces individually. Does anyone know when they were prizes and if they are common now or hard to find? Anyone have any idea of value? Thanks.
Attachments
DSC00057.JPG
DSC00057.JPG (23.04 KiB) Viewed 13278 times
Cyndy Boesch

Re: Monopoly pieces as Crackerjack Prizes

Post by Cyndy Boesch »

Most of these items are Monopoly game markers. The frying pan isn't. I believe that these markers were made by Tootsietoy, who manufactured similar pot metal prizes for Cracker Jack.
marmo

Post by marmo »

Thank you. Were they usually given out altogether or did one have to buy many boxes to get a complete collection? Do you know when they were prizes? Thanks again.
Cyndy Boesch

Post by Cyndy Boesch »

See this link regarding the pot metal markers used in Monopoly games: http://monopoly.wikia.com/wiki/Tokens. Dowst Mfg. (Tootsietoy) made the markers for Monopoly and also numerous small toys, buttons, tokens and charms that were used as penny toys, by carnivals, and in Cracker Jack. They were made of what is mostly called "pot metal", now. Sometimes they were painted or japanned. They are fairly easy to find, as for the most part people kept them and they were pretty durable. The prizes Dowst made for Cracker Jack were identical to the ones that they sold elsewhere, so it is impossible to say that a piece came from a Cracker Jack box. There is a highly sought after pot metal Cracker Jack horse and delivery wagon that is marked "Cracker Jack" and is definitely a Cracker Jack premium. I would guess that Dowst made that, but do not know that for sure. These type of premiums were mostly used by Cracker Jack during the 1920's and into the 30's. Hope this helps you.
marmo

Post by marmo »

Yes, that was very informative. Thank you very much!