NOSCO occupations set 1124 clown variations

This is a general discussion forum. (Open to All)
Donovan

NOSCO occupations set 1124 clown variations

Post by Donovan »

I believe this is a new discovery, if not, please correct me.

The NOSCO occupations set doesn't have any casting varieties that I was aware of until I discovered that the clown comes with two hand variations.

As you can see in the first pic, his thumb is pointed upward. In the second pic, although at first glance it looks like his thumb is broken off, it isn't. This casting has his thumb engraved across his hand instaed of pointing up. Both sides are identical, as you would expect.

I couldn't find any other differences in the casting which makes me think the original mold probably had that part (his thumb) broken, and instead of creating a new one, they just engraved his thumb across his hand and kept using it.

Anyone else aware of this variation or have any other theories? It would seem that the variation with the thumb pointing up is much more common than the other one.
Attachments
clown2.jpg
clown2.jpg (580.07 KiB) Viewed 14958 times
clown1.png
clown1.png (299.27 KiB) Viewed 14958 times
Cyndy Boesch

Re: NOSCO occupations set 1124 clown variations

Post by Cyndy Boesch »

You have sharp eyes! Sister Diane Platek had previously noted this difference and if you are able to access the "Odds and Ends" part of the forum, you can read what was written under the topic, "Just Clowning Around--Clown related prizes.
dianep2

Post by dianep2 »

Hi Donovan,

Yes, I noticed the difference in the NOSCO clown thumb a few years ago. I thought that was such a curiosity. I wish I knew why NOSCO decided to change that mold. Someone suggested to me at the time that possibly the thumbs up position was too fragile and the thumbs were easily broken and to correct the problem, NOSCO changed the mold so the thumb was in a more protected thumbs down position. That is just one person's guess as to why we see the difference in the clowns.

It would be interesting to see which clown is more common and which colors are more likely to have each of the two thumb positions. I have two of these clowns. I have a light blue with the thumb down and a yellow with the thumb up. What do you have Donovan and what do the rest of you CJCAers have as far as this clown and his thumb position?
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Thanks for the replies. I have the 2 in the pictures. Interesting that you mention the colors, although the first one looks white in the pic, it's actually light blue. That makes my two, exactly like your two.

The thumb down mold seems a lot scarcer than the thumbs up. All the ones I've seen lately have thumbs up.

There's a dark blue thumbs up on ebay right now and a recently sold blue and green thumbs up. I have seen a green thumbs down before also.

I wondered too if they changed it because the thumb was easily broken, but the fact that there are many other NOSCO molds with far more fragile parts sticking out, (ringmaster, fishing boy, etc), would seem to indicate it was changed for a different reason. We'll never know for sure but the little mysteries are what make CJ collecting so much fun. :D
dianep2

Post by dianep2 »

Yes, you are so right. The little mysteries do add to the fun of CJ prizes. I sure would like to know the real story behind the thumbs up and thumbs down clown.
spudgy

Post by spudgy »

Here are the colors I have. The last two have thumbs down and the green thumbs-down clown has a bit of extra plastic above the thumb. I wonder if the mold modification caused the overflow. I also have a marbled white/blue thumbs-up and a brown thumbs-down. :humbsip:
Attachments
CJ Clowns.jpg
CJ Clowns.jpg (131.81 KiB) Viewed 14910 times
dianep2

Post by dianep2 »

Thanks for the great photo, Spudgy. Your collection seems to show a far greater number of thumbs up clowns. And yes, your green guy does seem to have a little deformity of the thumb. Your colors are beautiful. Thank you again for posting. :humbsip:
spudgy

Post by spudgy »

My pleasure, Sister Diane. It's all part of the fun of collecting. Before I posted the pictures, I thought they were all in perfect condition. It wasn't until I looked at the picture I realized one of them has a broken cane. I suppose it's why he is so blue. Sorry 'bout that. ;)
dianep2

Post by dianep2 »

Oh my, I see now Mr. Blue does have a broken cane. I guess his cane turned into a walking stick. I didn't notice it until you mentioned it.
dianep2

Post by dianep2 »

Oh my, I see now Mr. Blue does have a broken cane. I guess his cane turned into a walking stick. I didn't notice it until you mentioned it.