Cracker Jack by the penny bagful…

This is a general discussion forum. (Open to All)
Woobinewabbitts

Cracker Jack by the penny bagful…

Post by Woobinewabbitts »

Please see photo of red & white checkered wax paper bag and pot metal prize ring. Bag is marked:
“PRIZE GRAB-BAGS 1 Cent Toys and Sweets Manufactured by The Cracker Jack Co. Chicago Illinois Popcorn, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Salt, Artificial Color Added Net Weight ¼ oz.”
I purchased these items from a dealer at the Westminster, Maryland AG Center flea market on June 6, 2015.
The dealer told me the fascinating story of purchasing contents from a defunct gas station/general store in Baltimore County. He actually met a fellow who’d worked there. The man explained that back in the day Cracker Jack was sold by the scoop out of a barrel for a penny per bag and the buyer had a choice of prizes like this pot metal ring.
I don’t remember what time period this would’ve been but think this would’ve dated to the late 1950’s to early 1960’s. One reason being the “Artificial Color Added” on the label which I think may’ve been an FDA requirement in 1958.
Bag measures approximately 3” x 6”.
Does this ring a bell with anyone and do they have any additional info?
Cracker Jack Penny Bag and Ring.jpg
Cracker Jack Penny Bag and Ring.jpg (72.83 KiB) Viewed 18270 times
Cyndy Boesch

Re: Cracker Jack by the penny bagful…

Post by Cyndy Boesch »

What a neat find! I think it is older than you think. Most Cracker Jack collectors will be leaving tomorrow for the annual Cracker Jack Collectors Association convention, but I will try to post another reply next week. Stay tuned!
CJAAAJ

Post by CJAAAJ »

Hello :hiya:

Wow! What a great find! :headbang: I have been collecting Cracker Jack items for decades and this is the first time I have seen one of these! Thank you for sharing this great C. J. item with all of us! :D

CJAAAJ :nutty:
THE MORE YOU COLLECT, THE MORE YOU WANT!
Luke

Post by Luke »

Very interesting. I thought they only did the Cracker Jack "scoop out of the barrel" thing before 1912. If the “Artificial Color Added” was indeed from 1958 onward, then we can narrow down the date of the item to a six year period, 1958-1964, since the Cracker Jack Co. was sold to Borden in 1964.
Woobinewabbitts

Post by Woobinewabbitts »

That dating sounds very realistic since the fellow who supposedly scooped it was still alive to speak with the dealer within the last few years. If he was scooping pre-1912 he would've been a really OLD dude! Thanks for the information and allowing me to share with an interested audience.