Cracker Jack & Checkers

This is a general discussion forum. (Open to All)
Rx-Museumist

Cracker Jack & Checkers

Post by Rx-Museumist »

What was the connection between the Cracker Jack Co. & the Checkers Candy Co.? Just competitors?
Luke

Re: Cracker Jack & Checkers

Post by Luke »

Welcome to the forums, and thanks for asking a great question. Checkers and Cracker Jack were competitors at one time, but Cracker Jack eventually bought them. I'm not a historian, or a collector of Checkers' prizes, but there are a few members here who are & do. Hopefully they can flesh out some of the details for you.
Rx-Museumist

Post by Rx-Museumist »

Thanks for the info. Besides collecting Cracker Jack prizes, I have a drug store museum and I concentrate on Kansas drug stores. I just got a picture post card with a store front picture of a Munden, KS, drug store. In the front window is a neat stack of Checkers boxes and a pennant hanging above them that reads Wholesome // Pure // Candied // Popcorn // And // Peanuts. The card is post marked 1916. Neat way to tie my two collections together!
CJFLASH

Post by CJFLASH »

WOW would love to see the picture post card. Luke was correct that Cracker Jack bought out Checkers, which makes Checker items harder to find. Please post a photo if you can. Thanks!
Rx-Museumist

Post by Rx-Museumist »

I am not sure how to attach a picture, but I will try.
img1545.jpg
img1545.jpg (317.89 KiB) Viewed 17692 times
Rx-Museumist

Post by Rx-Museumist »

That seemed to work. That contraption on the curb is, I think, an early gasoline pump. Notice the Crown Gasoline advertising sign nailed to the tree beside the drug store. When cars first became popular, there were few filling stations, especially in small towns, so you bought gas where you bought other chemicals: the drug store.