Cracker Jack Item

This is a general discussion forum. (Open to All)
Daddy_Nobucks

Cracker Jack Item

Post by Daddy_Nobucks »

Hi, I'm wondering if someone here can help me identify this Cracker Jack item. My dad recently gave me this piece and told me it was my grandmother's. I think it's a stamp holder but not sure. Any info about it will be appreciated! Thanks. -- Dave (not sure if images are posting so...

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories ... -jack-item

...thank you.
Cyndy Boesch

Re: Cracker Jack Item

Post by Cyndy Boesch »

This is a very cool item! You didn't post the size of the item, but it looks like it may be a calling card holder. Back in the day women spent the afternoons "calling" at each other's homes. It was customary to leave a small card (much like today's business cards) in a silver receptacle on a table in the entry area to commemorate the visit. If you post the measurements of the piece, it would help.
Daddy_Nobucks

Post by Daddy_Nobucks »

Thank you Cindy. It is 2" x 2-1/2".
Cyndy Boesch

Post by Cyndy Boesch »

I have a good friend who collects these little cards, but he isn't picking up his phone tonight. Will post the sizes of the cards he has as soon as he calls me back. Thanks for the measurements.
Daddy_Nobucks

Post by Daddy_Nobucks »

Thanks again Cindy. Based on the wear and size, I think this might be a matchbook holder. I tested with an old book and fit was perfect. And my grandmother was a smoker, so it might have been something she used/held on to. I'm also curious about age. I read that Cracker Jack didn't always include prizes in the box. That starting 1910-1912, premiums were awarded to customers based on winning tickets placed in the Cracker Jack box. Premiums included silverware and other "useful household goods". So maybe not so strange that a candy premium would include a matchbook holder. I'm keeping an open mind! Any info on age and use will be appreciated... -- Dave
Cyndy Boesch

Post by Cyndy Boesch »

My friend with calling cards called and said that your item is probably a little too small to be a calling card holder, as the smallest cards are about the same dimension as your item, and those were Victorian age--too old to be Cracker Jack. His thought is that perhaps it is a match holder or some kind of money clip. You are correct that at first, Cracker Jack did not put premiums in the boxes. Boxes contained a coupon and when you had enough of those, could redeem them for any item in a catalog they published. Most of these were household items that adults would like and not for children. This was just like collecting Green Stamps!
Daddy_Nobucks

Post by Daddy_Nobucks »

I'll consider the mystery solved and I appreciate it Cindy. Any idea about age, could this be one of those early premiums?