Are any of these celluloid charms Cracker Jack?

The place to ask your Cracker Jack Prize questions. (Open to All)
Jeffrey Maxwell

Re: Are any of these celluloid charms Cracker Jack?

Post by Jeffrey Maxwell »

That's the cool thing about collecting different things -- making connections between sometimes seemingly unconnected things. Cracker Jack has always been my favorite topic of plastic toys, but CJ did not exist in a vacuum. So understanding the world around them is important. I was born in 1963, so I don't remember anything before the 1970's, so my lack of personal experience has to be replaced by scholarship. Unfortunately the memories of children are not always very clear, so sworn testimony that they removed an item from a box of Cracker Jack 60 years ago cannot always be taken for granted.

My favorite topics in collecting include (1) toys that were used as Cracker Jack prizes but were also available elsewhere (such as NOSCO western flats also sold in comic book ads); (2) toys that look like or might have been copied from Cracker Jack prizes (such as Types III and IV alphabet animals; and (3) other toys that were not used as Cracker Jack prizes made by companies that made Cracker Jack toys (such as your elephant). Be safe in South Africa. I have FB friends who are experiencing quite a bit of problems in their areas.

Happy Collecting,
Jeffrey Maxwell
Jkge

Post by Jkge »

Hi, Jeffery, I am intrigued by your statement that celluloids on strings were given with bread, tobacco, and liquor. Being as I have a sizable number of these purchased thinking they were CJ, I became interested in their history. I notice the lady included some 7 dwarf (dwarves?) figures. I have a set of these. I am dying to know how old they are. Also your source of info about the bread, and tobacco and alcohol. I am taken with the history. Have found nothing online.

I do have some genuine CJ. This whole thing is infecting. As you probably know.
Jeffrey Maxwell

Post by Jeffrey Maxwell »

Oh goodness! That was five years ago. I haven't given much thought to the citations for this information since then. So I would pretty much have to start over with that. If you have a specific question about Cracker jack prizes that I might be able to help with, I will give it a shot. Have fun, Jeffrey