Help with lion charm, please

The place to ask your Cracker Jack Prize questions. (Open to All)
JudithMR

Help with lion charm, please

Post by JudithMR »

I recently found a long necklace with about 20 plastic lion charms, and I'm wondering whether these are Cracker Jack charms. They're not marked, and I'm not sure what type of plastic they're made from or their age.

I can't figure out how to attach the photo (sorry!), but here's the link: https://imgur.com/a/vl6Xv5r

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Judith
Luke

Re: Help with lion charm, please

Post by Luke »

Welcome to the forums!

I don't recognize it, but I'm sure someone will chime in with a more definitive answer.

As for age, if it's bakelite then it would be safe to say it's pre-1950s, if it's plastic then it would from the 1950s until today. Rubbing the lion vigorously, then smelling for a slight formaldehyde odor would confirm that it is bakelite. There are other tests, that use Simichrome polish, but I'm not sure of the details on that. That would help you to roughly date the lions.
JudithMR

Post by JudithMR »

Thank you for your response, Luke. It's definitely not Bakelite. There's an obvious seam, and it's too white (Bakelite yellows with age). Does the lack of a mark indicate that it's definitely not Cracker Jack, or were some charms made without a mark?
dianep2

Post by dianep2 »

:?) Hi Judith,
I would agree with Luke that your darling lion charm is not Cracker Jack. Having said that, I am not the best expert to ask either. But, I have never seen a charm just like that. And not all Cracker Jack prizes are marked which makes identification that much more difficult.
We are so glad you visited our website. Please come back and see us again soon. Thank you for your interest in the wonderful world of Cracker Jack prizes.
D. :hiya:
JudithMR

Post by JudithMR »

Thank you, Sister Diane. I appreciate your help (and your warm welcome).
Cyndy Boesch

Post by Cyndy Boesch »

I am in agreement that your little lion is not a Cracker Jack prize. Is it attached to a charm bracelet? It is a cutie.
JudithMR

Post by JudithMR »

Thanks for the confirmation. There are 19 or 20 of these lions attached to a lightweight necklace chain.