Tootsietoy Crackerjack Armored Cars

This is a general discussion forum. (Open to All)
CanalDigger

Tootsietoy Crackerjack Armored Cars

Post by CanalDigger »

Good Morning from Chippenham in the UK. I had to say I was in Europe/ Gibraltar Time zone just now, as I could not see Europe/ London etc.
Anyway, I'm fairly new to Crackerjack Collecting, (I have good collection of Tootsietoy Trains including the boxcars) and some what I believe are Tootsietoy Crackerjack Armoured (I believe that in 'American English' the 'u' is left out <smile>) Cars, Please can someone confirm or deny?
Also does anyone know what the model was based upon? Friends who are Military Model Collectors say that they have a French appearance.
Attachments
20240107_120655.jpg
20240107_120655.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 6642 times
Luke

Re: Tootsietoy Crackerjack Armored Cars

Post by Luke »

Welcome to the CJCA forums. I don't collect TootsieToy prizes, so I can't offer much information. Other than to say, they are listed in Larry White's book "Cracker Jack Toys: The Complete, Unofficial Guide for Collectors" on page 90, item number D-7000-10, and described as WWI army armored car with gun turret. These were from the 1930's.

Your military model friends are probably correct with it having a French appearance. We (Americans) came into the war late and unprepared. Our M1917 tank was based on the plans of the French Renault FT. So, even if we made an armored car, it probably would have been based on a French design.

Hopefully someone else has something to add.
jdnola

Re: Tootsietoy Crackerjack Armored Cars

Post by jdnola »

According to Cracker Jack prize archive records, this is Z-693, "Metal Armored Car #1667" from the Cosmo Mfg. Co., issued 1941, 1942.